First use of Ice Cube at Pinehurst

Burtess

Took the kids to Pinehurst today for the first ice fishing outing of the season. Tried out the new Ice Cube that I just picked up as well.

Pinehurst01_11_09.jpg

A lot of slush on top of the ice. Not an issue to me with the big boots but surely an issue for the kids felt packs as the rubber bottoms aren't as tall as mine!

We found a relatively dry area and shoveled it clean. Set up the Ice Cube and drilled some holes inside. Immediately about 2" of water engulfed the hut lol.... This is definitely a problem with no floor.

Stayed for an hour and a bit and called it a day with no fish and the kids with soaked feet. They were beating on each other as well so I had had enough!!!!

Better luck next time (I hope)!!!!!

Burt :)

At least you made it out with the kids, thats the main thing. Better luck next time.

This is true.

We drove through Hortons on the way and picked up sprinkle donuts and Timbits, when I was baiting up their jigs I am pretty sure I dropped a spike into the Timbit box, but I didn't tell them till we were home, why spoil thier fun lol.... :clapping:

When its slushy like that, the best thing to do is pack the snow down, not remove it. If you pack it, the water will soak the snow, and then freeze, making a nice base for your hut.

Snowshoes are great for doing this too!!! And they'll keep your feet out of the slush!

Did I mention I hate slush?? :)

Good going getting the kids out, I'm sure they had a blast!!

Sinker

Yup ... best this to do in slush is to pile snow into it ... and dont stomp too hard ... let it 'set'

I love my Ice cubes (I have the 2 man and the 4 man) ... really are easy to set up and they get toasty warm as soon as the sun breaks through the clouds

Great hut, I too have one but I find it's lack of portability on the ice a bit of a bummer. I usually bring a cordless drill with a 5/16 bit and pre drill the anchor holes and then the anchor screws go in real easy. Good luck, enjoy it and the main thing is it keeps you out of the wind right. As far as dropping a spike in with the timbits....ha ha one of them must of ate it thus the energy to beat on eachother and drive you nuts. Make a point to keep the spikes separate from the snacks...lol. B)

Does the ice cube not have zippable windows? I really like that feature on my Excursion. The outer clear plastic windows also velcro off.. very convenient for others around me if I smoke. If I didn't have the windows I'd be going outside for a smoke or sticking my head out the door lol

Good stuff though. Sure beats standing in the open eh?

It has two zip windows and a small velcro roof vent. Don't know if the windows actually open though, never looked. The real test will be up in Haliburton in February with 25MPH winds...

yea the clear plastic is actually velcroed on, they come right off i think.