A very nice evening with 2 special people

Big Cliff

After I related our experience with our last power outage a couple of weeks ago, JeffBornFishing & TangledLines offered to come over and take a look at what we needed to be able to easily have heat etc. if there was another power failure. True to their word, they came by last night with tools and materials to do almost anything that might need to be done. After a bit of chatting and a coffee, Jeff and I headed down stairs to assess what we had to work with and what would be needed.

I sure have to tell you, Jeff really knows his stuff, clearly explained what could be done and what my options were. Heck, he was prepaired to rewire my furnace right on the spot (it's OK, that is what he does for a living LOL). Anyway, turns out the generator I have would be big enough to run my furnace (if Jeff rewired it) but not much else so it would mean that I would have to run the furnace for a while, then power other things for a while. Not so good during the night. Anyway, looks like we have three options; live with what we have, get a bigger generator, or get a BIG generator that will run the whole house. Sue and I are going to have to crunch some numbers and decide which way to go.

I really want to thank both of them not only for their company but for taking the time to come all the way over here to help us! I hope some day I can do something to return the kindness you've shown us!

nice

OFC

can't beat it

You can say that again Terry!!....This is the best site!! :thumbsup_anim:

Big Cliff,

When we built our house 6yrs ago, I had the electrician install a generator switch over circuit breaker panel. We bought a Generac 7000W generator and I have nothing but good to say about this unit!!...It has electric start, low oil shut-off, great on fuel consumption and it's really quiet!

http://www.generac.com/Products/Portable/G...s/GPSeries.aspx

We live in the country and thought long and hard about what we wanted/needed to power in the event of a power outage and came up with the following...

- Well pump (for running water and toilet)

- Fridges and Freezer

- Furnace Blower (we heat mainly by wood and have a thermostat on the fireplace which turms on the blower and circulates the heat through the heating ducts)

- All switches and wall outlets (TV's, computers, microwave, etc...)

- Outside lights and motion detectors

This gives us most of the necessities we normally would have prior to an outage with the execption of the washer/dryer, hot water tank and oven. If we need hot water due to a prolonged outage, we boil water on our propane Jenn-Air stove...

Steve

It was our pleasure! There's something wonderfully restorative about an evening of coffee and good conversation, with a gentle hound curled up on your lap.

I know Jeff takes it as a personal affront ;) when one of our friends/family's furnaces isn't doing everything it could. It always makes him really happy to get them whipped into shape. :D