Lac Seul Walleye Report

trapshooter

After trout yesterday, I wanted to look for some walleye’s this afternoon/evening.

There are so many lakes and access points around Sioux Lookout that it makes it hard to decide where to start. We found a road (plowed) that crossed Lac Seul and decided to head out there and at least drill some holes in the ice and have a look.

We got set up off a bend in the shoreline beside a bay. We found a nice steep drop off to 20 fow and made a grid of holes in the area.

My roommate Graham got us started with a sauger.

DSC01476.jpg

Total surprise. In the summer we catch 1 sauger for every 100 walleye.

Fishing was pretty slow actually. I coaxed this 21” walleye to bite after pounding the bottom with my buckshot and minnow then letting it sit on bottom. The fish picked it up off bottom and I felt my line twitch. 21” is the top end of the slot on Lac Seul so back she went.

DSC01478.jpg

DSC01480.jpg

We did some hole hopping and looked shallower as the sun dipped towards the trees and I picked up a small walleye in 10 fow. That was it for our action on the day.

Not a sniff on the set line lines today. I was running a drop shot rig with a jig/minnow on the bottom end. I had a ton of confidence in this rig going into the day and was surprised it didn’t budge.

Here’s the Hbird all lit up with the backlight on.

DSC01482.jpg

Edited by BenBeattie

Hey Rick, the Hbird is a dream. It took me a bit of tinkering with the support cable and the transducer cable at first in order to get the transducer to hang straight. I heard the system they have for that is to avoid a patent violation with Vexilar. Minor detail though, the flasher itself is great and I'm happy I bought it. Having said that, it's new on the market and needs to be put through its paces.... something I fully intend to do this winter.

Solo - I'm gonna wait for a better day of fishing before I drop that bomb over at walleyecentral. hahaha. I wonder if they've ever seen a Lac Seul ice report?? They will this year!!

Not a sniff on the set line lines today. I was running a drop shot rig with a jig/minnow on the bottom end. I had a ton of confidence in this rig going into the day and was surprised it didn’t budge.

Pretty good day on the water Ben.

Question though, what are you running on the "high" bait on this rig a minnow or a plastic. Also do you go a bit heavier on the bottom jig head to hold the rig more or less stationary?

keep the good reports coming