best fishing knot for this application

goteeboy

So i need to know the best knot for this application. I hope I can accurately describe this.

There is the main line and onto the main line i want to connect a hook or two that is snelled creating sort of my own version of a crappie rig without the metal T-pieces, just line. does that make sense?

i have these snelled red matzuo hooks. the hooks do not have eyes. they are snelled onto the shank and where the eye would be , the hook is just flattened out preventing the line from slipping off. and at the "eye" there is a bead of glow in the dark paint. so i want to connect this hook/line to the main line with the hook about 3-4 inches out from the main line. Does that make sense? i can picture it in my own mind. so the rig i want to create is like a double hook drop shot rig w/ the first hook about ten inches from the sinker and the upper hook about 10 inches above the lower hook. but unlike a dropshot rig, the hook isn't palomar knotted onto the main line, this branches out w/ the snelled hook. anyway, i'm gonna stop rambling.

Now, if you can name the knot to use for this, i can google it and view the knot online. or you can post the link.

thanks

Edited by goteeboy

danbo

the hook is already snelled. i think i stated that in the original post no? i want to connect the line of the snelled hook to the main line.

jose

yeah i visited that site. i was looking at the dropper loop, and then knot the snell line onto the loop....

thanks for the suggestions

Edited by goteeboy

This is killing me, I HAD a website that was pretty awesome for knots - If you go to YouTube and just type in "How to tie a fishing knot" you'll find a few videos that have a guy replicating himself typing a mock "fishing line" and "hook"; except the "Fishing Line" is a BLUE ROPE and the "HOOK" is a "CARIBEANER" (spelling!) anyway, If I had the site, I'd share it - only, I can't remember the name of this site... if I come to it, I'll let you guys know.

It won't hold the rig away from the main line but you can come close to what you are describing with a float stopper knot. Usually it would be tied with the tag end of the leader/rig line pointing toward the rod and the end with the hooks pointing toward the weight. If you tried it upside down you would get whatever spacing the natural curve of the line would give on its 180 bend under the weight from the hooks/bait.

It's kind of in left field but it may do the trick for you. If you try it make sure to use a bead or tie a stopper knot into the main line. Other than that the dropper loop would have been my suggestion.

You thinking about a high-low rig? Like a pickeral rig, but without the metal twisties right? :canadian:

They're awesome for set lines and really simple to make. Take a 2ft length of good mono. 10lbs fluro outta do it. Tie a decent loop at the bottom where your bell sinker or shot will be. Try this

. You'll want to tie loops for your snells spaced just far enough so that they can't link together. Regular loops work just fine, just be sure to double them over to fasten the knot securely.. keep em small.

Making your own snells also helps. I like mine short, 3-4in long max again with a perfection loop. Shorter snells mean less line twist. All you need is just enough line to allow your bait to swim. The hooks you mentionned are actually the ones I use, 8x or 10x, with a clench knot to the hook.

Also, I like to hook the minnow just over the lateral line, under the dorsal fin. If your bait is unharmed and lively, it will swim around your rig horizontally and that's usually just the ticket. Tie a swivel at the top of the rig, connect your loops, add just enough lead and voila!!

It's really the perfect rig if you want to go as low profile as possible, and it works like a charm, especially when you're after nippy walters!

cheers

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

I use those tiny micro sized 3 way swivels. Then attach your snells to them.

The dropper loop will do the trick too, then attach snells. I like the swivels though, less tangles, and I don't think the fish care.

Sinker

Edited by Sinker