Ice Fishing Advice & Hut Rentals

Governator

Hello,

Well I don't post a lot, but some of you might recall that I just started fishing this past summer and I'm literally having my first taste of fishing withdraws :wallbash:

I live in Barrie and I'm desperatly wanting to give ice fishing a go, but I know literally nothing about what to look for in regards to ice safety such as pressure cracks, how thick ice needs to be, clothing, etc. So I think I'd best off renting a hut. It would also allow me to get some local advice and would encourage my buddy to tag along knowing that we'd be protected from the wind. Are there hut rentals in the barrie area? Any good ones or anything I should look for? How much do they cost? I figure this is the better route instead of just buying a shelter for now to see how I like it.

I know I should invest in a float suit and I also need to get some gear. I would only be targetting perch to start (for some dinner) so I assume just a light rod setup, some jigs, augar bit, is pretty much all I'd need.

If someone either cares to write up some basic advice or link to me a good place to read up it'd be much appreciated. I fished anywhere from 1-3 times a week from July through the fall but suddenly calling it quits for 2 months is driving me nuts lol

Thanks,

Gov

....I used to fish out of "The Pines" not far up the road from Barrie. Lake trout and whitefish primarily. Run by the Chilmans (?), good folks. Not sure if they're still in buisness but I did find a listing on the net.

The Pines 705-487-3305 RR #1, Oro Station, Ontario L0L 2E0