kingjames_2nd

I just returned from the Sault Ste Marie area in Northern Ontario where a

group of us spent some quality time in the bush as well as 1 overnighter

in the woods. We are all very terrible fishermen though and could not find

any fish dispite being verbally guided to an exact location buy OFC's

pike slayer

The snow was very deep up here. With out sow shoes we quickly found that

we would sink up to our waists. With snow shoes depending on the location

we were able to float almost on the surface.

Day 1 daytime temperature -22 c

02009_IMG_3235.JPG

02009_IMG_3240.JPG

02009_IMG_3245.JPG

We found a spot on the river which was open due to rapids then moved down to the

slowest part and dropped a baited minnow trap in deepish pool near the bank. The

next morning no fish were found.

02009_IMG_3256.JPG

We ended up buying some minnows and then heading out for a day drip to a special

little lake to try our hand at ice fishing. Unfortunately we are all very poor fisher people

and caught only memories... and also a slight sun burn.

Day 2 Daytime temperature -16 c

02009_IMG_3354.JPG

02009_IMG_3355.JPG

02009_IMG_3359.JPG

Upon first arriving at the lake we checked the ice for safety reasons. We found that

the ice was about 12-14 inches thick, largely composed of multiple small layers of ice

and slush pockets. This type of ice is not the best and I would prefer not to walk on

it. However, we found that there was 2 inches of clear ice at the bottom followed by

about 6 inches of solid white ice and then all the slush and gunk on top so we figured

it was probably ok so long as we didn't all stand together at the same place.

02009_IMG_3361.JPG

02009_IMG_3365.JPG

02009_IMG_3367.JPG

I started developing a sun burn on account of my red hair and fair complexion.

Soon a headache appeared and I had no sun glasses. Not wanting to cause permanent damage or

even temporary damage which may ruin the rest of the trip, I created some far-out

star trek style traditional sunglasses.

02009_IMG_3368.JPG

02009_IMG_3373.JPG

02009_IMG_3378.JPG

02009_IMG_3379.JPG

I ventured into the woods the next morning to have a look around. We had also set a

few rabbit snares around and were hoping for rabbit stew. One of our group grew up

with a native grandfather who worked a trap line for years. Unfortunately, we did

not seem to possess the skills to catch a rabbit as he once had.

In any case it was still good to march around in the early morning snow.

Day 3 daytime temperature -11 c

Here is a small video looking for the rabit snare:

02009_IMG_3397.JPG

me thinks -> Douglas Fir

02009_IMG_3415.JPG

02009_IMG_3420.JPG

We then ventured into another lake close to the last one. We found a spot located

between two hills in a bay. We set up in the trees and set our fire against a large

boulder which we hoped would help to reflect heat. We dug down into the snow and

hollowed out an area while building up walls, then covered the floor in hemlock boughs,

tarp over top, and inside was also a ground sheet tarp. It was not ideal.

In theory we hoped that the falling snow would land on the tarp and helped to insulate

it like quinsy.( it was coming down heavy at this point) Perhaps it did insulate, however we

all felt very damp and it was hard to stay warm.

Following some advice from Les Stroud in the Survivor Man Thunder bay episode, when

you think you have enough fire wood for the night gather 6 times more. We still ran out.

Day 4 and Night time temperatures -5c to -7 c

02009_IMG_3434.JPG

We did not prepare any where to sit which was a major mistake as we found our selves

just sort of standing around for the time before bed, shaking now off of our coats and

cooking.

02009_IMG_3439.JPG

02009_IMG_3457.JPG

Brad after a particularly restless night.

02009_IMG_3459.JPG

02009_IMG_3465.JPG

02009_IMG_3469.JPG

So in summary, this trip felt like we roughed it to the extreme. There was about 14

inches of snow accumulation over night which put a bit of a damper on things. The wood,

fire and gear was constantly being buried. the fish would not bite at all which I blame

on the low pressure system. And the humidity in the air increased the chill factor. We

did not have a snow free place to relax and dry our things which also caused a problem.

In the past a clothes line has been hung beside the fire where we could dry our socks

and things. With the constant snow falling, this was impossible.

I hope you enjoyed the report.

- James

Despite the adversities and difficulties encountered, there is no better sense of satisfaction than being able to say "been there and done it". You were no more worse for wear from an experience that most folks would never think to attempt.

There is a lot to surviving winter in the bush. I used to teach bush skills and build snow bungalows with scouts on winter camps. Despite the effort involved it was always a lot of fun.

A hearty well done to you all :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Edited by bigugli

im sorry you guys came up short in the fish department! maybe next time if you go. i would have gone out for the day with ya guys to put you on fish. i thought i explained it pretty good, by the background it doesnt look like you guys were in the right spot..... there is lots of fish in there!! heres some pics from the same lake in the summer to hopefully make you want to go back sometime.

tilley_4lb_bass.jpg

8lbs_of_bass.jpg

nate_big_smallie.jpg