Wrinkly Leaders

Picked up some leaders at Bas Pro Shops :whistling::wallbash: , Only because my mom didnt have time to drive me the extra distance to Wilsons, anyway the guy persuaded me to buy the White river leaders and tippet (store brand). I go to attach them to my line and there all wrikly, is this common, or should I get a diferent brand?, anyone know how to get em out?, I tried laying it our and putting books on em, tying it to a door and making it tight from my reel, nothings working and I need help!? :wallbash:<_<

Wrinkly as in it looks like a tight bend/fold was put into it when it was coiled?

If that's the case you're out of luck.

Head to Canadian Tire and pick up a few small spools of Stren Magnathin in 4# & 6#test diameters and use that for your leader for now. As long as your not tossing a big pike streamer or a #22 dry fly these will function just fine.

Also, let me know some more information so I can more easily point you in the correct direction. Info that will help me advise you is:

Length and weight of rod.

species of fish you will be targeting

Type and size of flies you plan on using, ie: #12 nymphs, or #18 dries etc.

ive been fly fish'n my whole life and it takes a while to develope trust in a good leader, there is nothing worse than finally hooking that bow only to have your tippet snap, anyway there are only two brands that i fully trust and they are: frog hair(florocarb) and my favourite is 6lb. p-line(florocarb) these tippets wont let you down!!!

Fold over a piece of leather & pinch the line. Then pull the leader slowly through to get the coils out.

My turn to ask a question!!

Will this and the trick with the heating vent and the weight work if the tapered leader is kinked? or just coiled?

If they can be straightened after being kinked that would be a good bit of knowledge to have!!

I don't take offence to anything around here Danbo....

Considering we're talking "plastic" here, not much you can hurt about it below 200*F... and that I have immense knowledge with, with over 23 years now owing a plastic injection moulding business.

Thanks Guys,

I have a couple in my vest pocket that got badly kinked because I have yet to pick up a leader wallet (cooler got pushed up against the vest and the leaders were folded in half). Since I don't use them very often it hasn't been an issue for me but if I can save myself the money of buying some new ones for when I do want to toss out some dries that would be great.

I'll leave them stretched out for week or two and see what happens then try some heat. I was already figuring they were a lost cause anyway.

Edited by Dnthmn