Lowrance software download?

Pigeontroller

Has anyone downloaded the software upgrade for a Lowrance GPS/Sonar ? The website says an 8GB SD card in needed, I picked one up and its a SD-HC which is all thats available at those sizes. The download went well, I attemped to upgrade the antenna software first but the Unit(LMS-332C) doesn't read anything on the SD card??? I took it back in the house and put it back in the card reader and the computer shows the software is there...I'm thinking the unit won't read that card?

Guest skeeter99

hey I had the same problem

make sure the upgrade is the only thing on the card, if there is something else it wont work make sure the card is a standard SD/MMC card I dont think the SD-HC will work

the upgrade is auto as soon as you turn the unit on if not it may be a issue with the unit my friend had this problem but lowrance replaced the unit after he sent it in

but i think u read the site wrong or typed the wrong thing for card size

all of the software updates for lowrance are 12 mb or less so a 1 gig card is all that is needed very easy to find and very cheap

from site below

Insert an MMC/SD card with at least 8 MB of free space into the MMC/SD card reader. **only 8 mb of free space is needed** not 8 gig card needed

if you bought a 8 gig card I dont see why it would not work as long as it was MMC but SD-HC i dont think will work

a 1 gig card is all you will need with these units and dont forget every once and a while copy your data to the MMC card and copy to your pc so you have a backup of your waypoints in case your unit dies or to make tranfering to a new unit a breeze

here is a link to the wal mart canada site buy the 1 gig SD card and you will be okay less than $8

http://walmart.ca/wps-portal/storelocator/...=84&tabId=1

Edited by skeeter99

Yup what he said. Just a word of caution on the antenna upgrade. It will now cause the antenna to continuosly draw power(net working purposes) even when the main unit is off so be sure it is attached to a master power switch. I found out the hard way with a motor that wouldn't start a couple times until I finally figured out what it was. Same unit as yours.

I didn't lose any way points. I also downloaded two updates for Squid and he uploaded them with no issues.

8 Gig card!!!! :o machine probably going brain dead trying to go thru all that. Same issue I had trying to use high volume memory cards in my old Canon digital camera... took for ever.

Dang Rob... if you had of asked yesterday! I was thru London today on my way back from a dash to Sarnia.. to meet a guy from Michigan. Even went shopping in Northgate.. could have brought my reader and loaded you up.

Not sure what they cost... I got mine in Map create package. Don't imagine they're more than $25.

Edited by irishfield

Hey that's the kinda hardware I think even I can afford. Thanks for the info guys.

Good thing you did your travelling today Irishfield - sounds like the next couple of days are going to be a bit messy.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new lowrance 525c. Icefisherman helped me find what I think is a pretty good deal - thanks Emil. I would expect it's already got the latest software upgrades (?). I was just curious about the process involved in transferring info back and forth. thanks again.

Guest skeeter99

very simple to tranfer data between lowrance units

insert SD/MMC card in unit with enough space on card

go to map data and select tranfer data

to mmc

and presto u are done if i remeber correctly it will be called data.usr lowrance uses .usr extension for there files they are ascii if you are worndering

then insert card into other lowrance unit and upload from the mmc card and presto you are , it is really that easy

you can get a card reader(usb type) and a 1 gig card(kingston) in a package for 16.99 at future shop you do not need the manufacturers reader they are way over priced any reader will work with any unit, remember this is just storage so it does not matter what company makes it

and always remeber to create a folder on your pc and copy the usr.dat for backup in case unit fail or wanting to share with buddies it can be sent by email

I had a similar problem last May with the download from the Lowrance site, but contactcing the Mississauga office, they were helpful and got me the proper download. The upgrade was easy and simple and gained some nice features, like speed in 100ths of a MPH.

The 332c did develop some strange things and as I write the unit is in Mississauga being checked out. I feel certain that the upgrade did something to the unit as it would be extremely coincidental that the transducer would crap out when the upgrade went in.

The people at Lowrance have been very helpful and I hope to hear from them next week.

Cheers

Hey guys, a bit of a techno-novice here - but how do you transpose that data from your computer onto the card ? Is there a peice of hardware I need to buy ? If so, can you enlighten me ?

thanks.

I used my card reader on my printer that is used when downloading pictures to my computer. On my printer it shows up as the "F" drive. Newer computers now have SD card slots but like I said if you have a printer that has them just use that. I also would think you could use your camera as a SD reader.

Don't use a card over 1G as the unit will not recognize it.

Bob