Hard Water Report - Outaouais

Leecher

Well guys just got back from McLauren bay and let me tell ya it feels good to be able to go out fishing finally :D

Last night Paul and I talked about going but since the temps dipped @ -28C overnight, no way we were going to head out early morning. The plan was to go in the afternoon for a couple of hours and check out our favorite spot.

We left home at around 1:00pm, had to stop to get a couple of dozen of minnows and the way we went..... got to our spot at around 1:30pm and let me tell ya the road leading to the bay had a lot of snow and this is what greeted us

IMGP1661.jpg

Got our gear prepared and the way we go

IMGP1660.jpg

We started to walk on ice or should I say in deep snow on top of the ice and immediately drilled a hole with the auger to verify the ice thinkness.... to our surprise it was 6" inches thick with 4" of black ice and 2" of white.

As we continued walking toward our spot we found some deer tracks going across the bay and little further drilled another hole and it was the same thickness.... Ice was safe to walk on :clapping:

Once arrived at destination we setup our tipups..... took a quick pick of one of mine

IMGP1662.jpg

Not 10 munites went by and Paul gets a hit but did not manage to land the fish...... had the camera ready and all but just not meant to be :wallbash:

Right after that I get a hit... one of my tipups goes down, set the hook, start pulling on the line and got a huge perch to the hole only to see it do a U turn and go back down :wallbash:

Minutes later got another hit and this is what I caught

IMGP1663.jpg

First fish of season for me and I'm all excited :lol:B)

Then it's Paul's turn to get a hit..... set's the hook and starts pulling the line in..... this is what he got

IMGP1664.jpg

His first also and had to snap another shot :clapping:

IMGP1665.jpg

I was real happy for Paul that he got his first and if we caught more, would be bonus..... well that did not stop there, Paul managed to catch a snot rocket not long after and here it is

IMGP1666.jpg

He tried to lip him and was fine until the pike did a head shake :w00t: here is the results

IMGP1667.jpg

I guess he's so use to catch bass that he did not think about the teeth :stretcher:

We stayed a little longer until darkness set in and snow started to fall, then we called it a day.

Real happy of the outcome and was a fun time out there even if we did not catch a lot :canadian:

Hope you enjoy

Jacques aka Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Wow nice to see a more local hard water report Was Paul's head or hands too cold and numb to remember how to hold a pike

Ouch that looks nasty.

I hope I meet up with you guys sooner hope it stays cold.

Thanks Mike.... guess he didn't think but like I said was fine up to when the pike did a head shake :lol:

I sure can't wait to meet you and the sooner the better..... season just begun :canadian: Let us know when you are coming down

Great report and pics Jacques!!!

It looks pretty doggone cold out there too! :canadian:

I bet Paul won't be lipping anymore Pike real soon eh :whistling: ... tell him Wall-ices got teeth too! ;)

Thanks Glen.... I'm sure he won't be doing that again but will let him explain :whistling:

"left home at 1:00PM"???????????????......Jacques, ya gotta get outa the bed earlier then that if ya wanna catch the big one :whistling: ....

Thanks for the mini report :whistling:

I know Steve but -28C is a little too cold for my likings and you are right about a mini report :whistling: Nothing compare to last year but was just to see if the ice was thick enough

Well done guys !!! glad to see another hardwater report/pics,it sure does look like you guys have lots of snow up there too!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing: i thought you wernt supposed to "lip" a pike !!!! :stretcher::oops: LOL..LOL.. i guess you will remember that next time right??....thanks for the report guys....cheers

Thanks fishindevil, we sure did get a lot of snow for the first down pour..... I'll let Paul answer that one :whistling:

Nice report Jacques. Glad you and your buddy got out. Yeah that pike bite looks nasty.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Thanks Jim..... I don't know what he was thinking at the time it happened :whistling:

good idea lipping that pike :asshat:

good report

Thanks Micro.... not really :wallbash:

Paul is still in the "bass mode" Jacques as far as lip grips goes..a few more lil esox bites like that will change his old habits quickly ;)

Steve you'll have to come out with us next time we go back there.... you have to get to use them wooden things I made you :whistling: Lets keep in touch..... Are you going to put your shack out on the ice this year??

Edited by Leechman

Thanks Micro.... not really :wallbash:

You'll have to excuse Mr. Hole, Jacques... it seems his ergonomically shaped snow shovel got away from him and he ran head first into a snowbank while chasing it :stretcher: , kinda explains the hair-do :asshat: ... and his glasses got so cold they turned blue!!! :canadian:

Brain frostbite doncha yanno. :whistling:

You'll have to excuse Mr. Hole, Jacques... it seems his ergonomically shaped snow shovel got away from him and he ran head first into a snowbank while chasing it :stretcher: , kinda explains the hair-do :asshat: ... and his glasses got so cold they turned blue!!! :canadian:

You'd think by now I'd know better than to to take a sip of eggnog while reading a reply from you Glen....Dang, it's gonna be a job to clean all that stuff off my keyboard and monitor that just spewed outa my mouth after that reply :clapping::thumbsup_anim::canadian:

Great report

Thanks 'Dont Get Caught :thumbsup_anim:

:lol::lol::lol:

nice outing... -28c ...YIKES !!!

Thanks JDMLS :thumbsup_anim: -28C was overnight, when we got out in the afternoon it was -15C.... not too bad, a little chilly but not too bad ;)

Today we were just scouting our honey hole to see if the ice was thick enough.....and we got into some little fish but now we know that it's safe to walk on, will be spending more time fishing then scouting.... from sunrise to sundown kind of like :Gonefishing::canadian:B)

Leechman

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

AWESOME Jaques and paul....great report....feels great to ice the first one eh?

Ok...i'm still pmsl at the cut thumb... :stretcher: but i have been chewed by one myself...and it aint that funny....lol...but i still chuckled

great to see you captured a UFO in the first pic too (top left corner).

cant wait for some more reports from you guys...

Simon