Lower Grand River Ice Watch 08/09 & Reports

Fishmaster

The river ice went out yesterday at Noon and is back today Dec 11/08..lets hope the cold stays this time ...i know Moday doesn't look good again +10 with Rain grrrrrrr...im going to try and get out on the marina for Crappies tommrow will post how i do ....

Out Look Today

riverice08.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Just walked out to the middle of the Grand seems to be around 3 to 4" in the center ...but i would recommend being with a friend and have a spud and a Survival Suite and keep checking all places you walk ...fish single meaning not to have to many people in one spot at one time...Marina Ice is 6 to 8 " ...with the -10 nights we will be all over the Lower Grand in a few more nights ...but as of now I'm going Walleye Fishing ...Store will be Open 6:30 am Saturday and Sunday ...New Hours Start Next week for Ice Fisherman ...We Also have lots of Live Minnows Big and Small...

Ed Does not have a computer so he asked me to do a post for him ... here goes!

Headed out of Steves Harbour, fished from 7:30am - 10:30. I caught one walleye at 9:00am. Met with a few other guys and was standing around chatting when my rod was just about ripped out of my hand. What a great fight. When I got her in she weighed 7.5lbs. I grabbed a couple of pics and released her.

EdCatchingfishatFishmastersonTheRiv.jpg

EdCatchingfishatFishmastersonThe-1.jpg

She was my personal best Walleye through the ice on the river.

I will be out there again soon!

Ed

Ice Report Jan 15th ..... Main River out front of the shop 5" to 6" ... Marina 9" to 12" 3 " snow cover ....fishing was a tad slow yesterday but there was a few Walleye Caught will post pics tonight ...Crappie fishing getting better in the Marina ...Pond action was hot last night from 7pm till 9pm Crappies and Perch Catch & Release Only ...

I will be out on the ATV checking down river for Ice Thickness later today ...

For more info on the Grand River

Grand River Web Fourms

http://fishmaster.proboards46.com

I fished off Vic's last night had 2 good hits missed them both time for Stinger hooks ...caught 4 nice sized smelt ...fished 18 fow ice was 9" in the middle of the river and around 5 " closer to shore ...seems good for Atv's and Sled now ....wish i had more time to get out and find active fish ...i know guys that are doing well but are not posting ...it's just a matter of time and everyone will be saying FISH-ON...has anybod been droping there Camera's down .... aslo if anybody wants a good feed of Smelt the Marina is loaded ...small tear drops or small hooks tipped with Maggots or Mousie's

Prime Time for Walleye

Well guys if you want to catch Walleye you need to be out before daylight or around 3 pm till dark ..Smelts bite all day ...ive just seen a lot of guys show up at 10am and wonder why they are not catching walleye or guys come at 2pm leave at just before the prime bite at 5pm ...Walleye Bite Early Morning ans just before Dark ... :Gonefishing:

Ice Report Jan 29th Lower Grand 9 to 11" or more in places...seems there was a few fish caught yesterday on Rapala Jigs tipped with a Minnow Head ...best depth seems to be 10 to 12 fow ..down off the trailers ...looks like its going to be a little warmer this weekend ..bring the Atv's or Snow Mobiles and move around to some of your summer trolling spots ...

• 2 weeks later...

We were out on the Atv tonight fished 6"of black Ice, White ice is soild but you have to watch for old holes! They are rotting away and thin around the outter edges ...iIf you plan on fishing, do it in the daylight so you can see were you are walking ...

There will be no more Atvs or Sleds allowed down the ramp till futher notice ....The Marina Ice is still over a 1ft thick and the Smelt are in ...The smelt in the main River seem to be gone ...

Lets hope the ice holds this week until the cold weather sets back in Thursday or Friday ...cross your fingers for the Tourney ....if your out be safe

Edited by Fishmaster

As of now the Ramp is closed for Ice fishing...the water level if about 4ft above normal shore lines is all open water ...got my fingures crossed for the Derby next weekend ... water is droping back inot place as i speak ...so far we have not lost the Ice on the Lower Grand River ...soon as its safe to go fishing again i will give ya a Update ....as of right now Stay Off Any Ice ...

dont want to be the bearer of bad news but just came back from the store and looked at the rivers. the Grand is way up as is the Nith feeding into it. I would say they have actually gone up since I last looked this afternoon. Also saw a huge tree going for a ride,lol.