Dec 5th in the Gorge

jwl

With the conditions being kind of crap lately, tonnes of SW winds mucking up the river, I decided to put off my plans for taking the boat out today and do a bit of shore trashin on the Mighty Niagara.

There is an area I been waiting to try out, and man it was worth the effort!!!

Tactic of the day was to finnesse fish with a 6 inch white twister..one of my favorite winter time tactics, if conditions are right there is a great technique for this on the river I call it "the line watching technique" I will get into that another time when someone is sharing presentations :rolleyes:

Today however was not the right day for this technique, a pretty solid wind coming right smack dab down the river, top that off with greyish brown stained water, and you have a tough day ahead of you...but my years of experience at this spot always pays off for me :thumbsup_anim:

A few casts into the day I get a light bite, set the hook..I had something small on, I didn't get a chance to see as I lost it right by the shore....a few minutes later another one on, this was was not fighting like a hog either, and I was hugely surprized, specially consiering where I was fishin when I landed one like this!!!!!

345990661.jpg

a little while later I caught another so I decided I might try keeping a couple...so I kept the one in the pic above...they must have found out because I didn't catch another one after that.

About now 2 hours into my morning after a 1/2 worth of hiking :w00t: now it was finally time to get what I came for...my rod buckles over, drag peels and out jumps a huge steelie !!! , this one took me a good 15 minutes to come in with high flying aerobatics, I got it to shore, grabbed it by the tail,pulled it up on the rocks, go to take my jig out of it's mouth and it decides NO WAY!!!.., and I grabbed my rod just in time for the line to snap and the fish swim away with a big splash before I could even remotely get a pic....one lost was at least 12-13lbs, and I was hoping to pull off a nice minute grab on good inches for a GL Trout for the Slammers, this time I did in fact bring the logo,tape, and camera..but this fish wasn't into the photo op :o . I was solo with no net :whistling: (way to much to carry when you have to hike it all together an hour in and out.)

I did however manage to redeem myself before I left for the day with this one!!!! and a pic of weapons of the day..my 7 foot Med custom Rainshadow rod..and good ole never let you down white twister

345990658.jpg

I brought this one home and it will be going into a friend's smoker for a little visit

so read em and weep as we are getting even closer to 1st place folks with this one 28 1/2 inches of greaseball :thumbsup_anim:

345990656.jpg

Coach!!!! aka GCD, could you please add one GL Trout for our team here, caught by yours truely, bringing our totals up nicely with a couple weeks to go to get the big ones.....man I am bummed about the no pic deal on the steelie it was way longer than that laker...but oh well, someone had to take one for the team.

By the way are all our fish updated so far besided the one I just got????? and if you need me to post the pic somewhere else no probs, just let me know

yahoo all in all a good day, I beat the conditionsm fish landed..2 walleye,1 steelie,1 laker

Edited by jwl

Nice! I didn't know Lakers were open season down there at this time -- makes my PB laker an in-season job, then :)

Dec 1st they open back up on the river...and yes Coach I agree we needed that one...the steelie I got the other day with no logo, and the one that didn't want to pose today would have been better, but I'll take it!!!!, and we still got a couple weeks left to top it off!!! :Gonefishing:

I think that puts us at...291 inches now....if I am not mistaken...but I could be..the walleye entrie should now be 33 inches if TMH, had the 31 and got the 2 bonus inches because I had a 29 and got the bonus inches making it 31 already, and I am sure that got upgraded..add 2 for mine :whistling: brings us up to 295 if calculations are correct...leaving 6.5 inches from the lead...and I can top those inches with a big trout before the months up :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

go team go!!!!!!

correction...if I see things right on the team entries and the standing, I believe that TMH might be owed 2 inches for the musky??...if that's the case we are at 295 now...pending 2 OFAH bonus inches for me brings us to 297 in a couple days :worthy: ...closing the gap to 4.5 inches to go :thumbsup_anim:

I double checked, that's what i think the standings "should be" anyways

Edited by jwl