Almost buying a boat...Need help about exterior fading?

Guest buick14

Guest buick14

Hi all,

I need some quick advice/help

I am buying (well almost 98%certain) a nice fiberglass 1999' ranger boat which is not mint, but well worth the price

its a nice boat, and think it would look good if it were buffed..???

The hull is fiberglass, and well it looks like it has lost its "shine" and looks a little dull.....

Does this mean the clearcoat is gone, and I will have to wax it every time I come back from being in the sun?

or does it just mean it needs a wax job?

Is there something which I can rub on the hull to protect it for a while and make it shine that while longer..or like a good hull restorer??

any/all info is appreciated..... including guestimates on how long certain waxes may last/clear coat products etc etc

thank you very much!!!!!!!!1

-MS

is there and crazing(small cracks) in the finish???? if you don't know the persons you might be buying it off, and how they ran the boat it may be a sign of stress on the hull...some guys run the crap out of thier bass boats :lol: , if it's just faded a good hull cleaner or buffing agent should do it...not sure the brand I used before on our old bow rider, I will see if I can find the bottle around here...but it used to shine the boat up like it was new again

I know it's not the best to use environmentally but last year, I used WD40 for a while. My boat looked horrible so I sprayed a bit on a shammy and wiped the boat with it. She's an old girl and not the most desirable but she's my first. :whistling:

It made a huge difference to the look but my buddy who's a car body man, told me I screwed the ability to get it re-done.

Thankfully, he was wrong and I had the boat completely refinshed with a supposed new product on the market at my marine place I deal with.

A guy just moved to Kingston from BC and with this new application, brought the boat back to it's original look for really cheap so he could use it as a promotion.

If you want to PM me, I can get his contact information if you wish.

Here's before and this was with WD40 on it so it looked better than it had.....I'll post the finished picture next; it's too large for this one.

Cheers,

Paul

boat_original.jpg

I used the 3M kit on a pretty badly faded out hull and it came back like new.

Used a power buffer, you may be able to rent one. The kit had 3 bottles, one with a grit that pulled all the oxidation out with the buffer.

a bit of elbow grease, but inexpensive and great results.