P.E.I striped bass

purekgw

ok well im heading down to P.E.I for the summer for work and want to do some fishing the last time i was down there i was catching ghaspero (weird little things look like bass but teeth like piranhas) , mackerel and brook trout. But i was talking to some one that said there where striped bass out there but he never really said where to catch them. Im only going to have a kayak to fish out of and dont want to be paddling into the middle of the ocean for mackerel. So has any one fished for them if so can u lend some advise do they stay close to shore, what do the eat?

ok well im heading down to P.E.I for the summer for work and want to do some fishing the last time i was down there i was catching ghaspero (weird little things look like bass but teeth like piranhas) , mackerel and brook trout. But i was talking to some one that said there where striped bass out there but he never really said where to catch them. Im only going to have a kayak to fish out of and dont want to be paddling into the middle of the ocean for mackerel. So has any one fished for them if so can u lend some advise do they stay close to shore, what do the eat?

They run into certain tribs in the maritimes, and the St. Lawrence, fall to spring for the spawn. Beyond that they are an offshore fish.

I schooled my NS bro in law with a 3/8 oz silver blue cleo for mackerel last August at a pier near Halifax. One on the hook, and three more trying to take the spoon too. Every species spends some time near shore, you gotta do that research.

I think the gaspereau are just like the alewives in Lake O, some sorta herring.

Edited by douG

MAckeral can be caught off the dock, Buzz Bombs work well, as does a hook with raw cut up bait fish chunks. However if you can get the chance try to go out on a tuna charter. That would be a challenge!

Enjoy your time there it is a great province.

Stripers were starting to come in the end of May last year. Pick a big river and toss big baits. I was told to use cut up smelt and mackerel on bottom. Make sure you have equipment large enough to handle stripers. Heavy musky gear will probably do.

I don't know this from first-hand experience but the tackle shop owner I talked to when I was in NS last year filled me in on the details.

Striped bass are closed all along the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf. This sucks big time because when I moved to Antigonish, NS a few months ago, I was really looking forward to getting my hands on those strippers. Apparently cod isn't the only species to collapse.

The Bay of Fundy and rivers runnning into it are open though. A bit out of your way from PEI, but that's your best bet. I heard lots of good things about the Shubenacadie in NS, though I haven't had a chance to give it a try myself.

To tell you the truth, I found saltwater fishing here rather disappointing. But the mackerels are plentiful when they come in, and they taste pretty darn good.

To tell you the truth, I found saltwater fishing here rather disappointing. But the mackerels are plentiful when they come in, and they taste pretty darn good.

That's because most of the inshore fishery had collapsed a long time back. For every 30 or so mackerel you'll hook, you might haul up 1 pollock, haddock or cod.