Rainbows in Bronte Creek?

Ed7331

Hello OFC,

Driving through Southern Ontario this week and wonder if anyone has some advice for Bronte Creek. I believe the rainbows are active.

Beginning flyfisherman searching for advice regarding:

1) Fly rod weight recomendation

2) fly selection/presentation

3) line/tippet recomendation

4) Or, any advice if I decide to just bring an standard rod & baitcaster? Lure, line, etc.

http://www.brontecreek.org/fishing-bronte-creek.htm

Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Ed

Usually if you just cast down stream at a 45 degree angle and let it sweep across, it's the best way to work the water. I notice a lot of guys that are just starting out cast upstream and let it drift toward them. Don't do that.

I would use at least a 7wt. rod and the appropriate line. Weight forward line is probably best if you're just starting out.

Try some larger wet flies. Size 8 wooly buggers, some rabbit fur patterns, etc. Black, pink, purple and olive are good colors. Egg patterns and nymphs are also good this time of year. You shouldn't have trouble finding popular steelhead flies at any tackle shop. If you end up liking fly fishing, tying flies is easy but it requires a bit of an investment up front.

I find a lot of people on this board float fish, but I'm just learning that right now.

Look behind you before you cast :)

I personally don't like Bronte, but to each there own! I hate the fact that it smells at petro park like dead fish! Not enjoyable, and hate that people there and i've seen it cut the head off a female and stick it to a tree branch and take the eggs! I love to fish and that creek is at the bottom of my list.

I personally don't like Bronte, but to each there own! I hate the fact that it smells at petro park like dead fish! Not enjoyable, and hate that people there and i've seen it cut the head off a female and stick it to a tree branch and take the eggs! I love to fish and that creek is at the bottom of my list.

Yea thats 100% true and I got into shouting matches with people for that.

Its unbelievable how little respect some people have for fishery and for wildlife. Snag the fish and rip the eggs out and leave the fish to rot on the shore....whats wrong with this picture.

Agreed, but now that the salmon have finished up their business, and theres snow, the demons tend to stay in they're lairs. I've been on Bronte a number of times this fall, and have seen far less crap this year than other years.......of course, I steer myself well clear of Petro Park for obvious reasons.

To answer the question though, I'd say there is definitely some steelhead action on Bronte right now. If you know what a cactus egg fly looks like, tied in orange and purple have been very productive lately......

Shouldn't the hillbillies be about done with Bronte now that the cold weather has arrived, I know I fished it a few times from mid Dec to the end Dec 31 and it was a sweet stream lotsa bows nice pools and I met some good steelheaders down there. I can't really comment on it much, but if you choose the right day and the right people to fish with it can be a sweetheart of a river :dunno:

• 1 month later...

That's not encouraging, blakewalk. I've found it slow down in Niagara this season, and thought I'd save time and gas by giving Bronte a go this week. I've usually been discouraged by the crowds, but Frank at Bronte Outdoor has said good things about the fishing there, as have a couple of other locals. Hmmm... maybe if the temperature gets above -10 I'll head out tomorrow.

A guy I know ended up getting physical with one of the roe-robbers this fall- same deal of just grabbing the roe and tossing the fish aside. Another reason why I try to avoid the crowds.

Bronte used to get a real nice (late Dec) run of Coho's in there too ... havent checked the regs as I no longer live in Oakville and dont get out here much in the past 15 years... but used to have a lot of room to myself around the QEW in the late fall (probably closed now though) ...

Bronte has extended season -dec 31, but its open year-round south of lakeshore (hwy 2) to lake ontario; pretty much the same regs as lake ontario for that stretch (mostly harbour). I was out there today, and no action; alot of loose ice drifting and made for a frustrating day of casting and jigging.

Did, however, see some folks on the marina ice just south of lakeshore, looks like a decent prospect. I'll prolly go for it next weekend, but its back to school now for another bloody week.