BOQ outing

brickNblock

A question for them that may know........

I have a 2002 ...115hp/2strk/Johnson

Tried to meet up w/ Gerritt and Joe last weekend at the Adolphus Reach...

My son and I launched event free out of the Glennora launch across the water after the ferry.

Whilst waiting for my son to park the truck I had to reverse considerably considering the position and traffic on water also the downpour we experienced...

Reverse was no probs...

I picked up my son after the few other boats launced nd then went on to meet up w/G and Joe but found I had no speed...

The tach was reading 45-65 and top speed was about 8-10mph..........

tried reverse....15 +mph.....started to take on water..stopped...throttle down in forward...

the same freaking thing....8-10mph...

Any ideas out there......????????We never did meet up w/G and Joe as I didnt dare very far away from the launch in rough water that the trolling motor couldnt get us out of....

Our day was shortened greatly....we jigged the area but considering the weather just called it quites...it sucked.

Man where we P-O'offed........

Any ideas out there what it may be???????

thankpeter

Edited by brickNblock

Peter was the tach reading 4500 to 6500 rpm or 450 to 650? It can't run at 45 to 65 rpm. If it was revving very high it could be a propeller slipping or maybe a broken gear or shaft. If the rpm wasnt going high it could be a fuel issue. Any weird noises?

Edited by Bernie

Hey bernie.......

I should have known better to just contact you directly...

it indeed was readinng 4500-6500...

The engine was running very hard and loud...like it anted to but wouldnt go into the next gear but I dont think we maxed out the first gear yet.

the roller waves were strong and we just didnt take any chances hiting the big water.....

We could have gotten out to it in reverse however but that was not a comfortable alternative at all.

I dont know if it was this way before but there seemed to be extra 'BUBBLES comming from just above the prop...ro.

Perhaps it was like that always and meant to be but it deff. was the first time Ive noticed it as I raised the motor /pprop just to the below the surface and reved 'er to check for anything but just seemed to be more bubbles then usual.....

I have no idea....to me it sounds like it could possibly be any number of things but Im a bricklayer afterall and what exactly do I know about boat motors to this extreme.......

Bernis, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have you a spare propeller? Can you borrow one? This would be a good place to start. There is only one forward gear. I suspect your propeller hub is slipping. The hub is usually made of rubber and is designed to slip in a hard impact to help protect the components inside from damage. Sometimes these hubs will let go and slip when put under a load. Hopefully that is all that is wrong.

....I'm with Bernie on this one Peter. The propeller hub is hopefully the problem and the least costly to remedy. Sorry to hear it screwed up your fishing trip.

As a side note it'd be wise to invest in a spare, I'll always have one on board with a spare prop.

Yup, I'm with Bernie and Chris on this one as well and I hope that's all it is for you Peter. People buying outboards should always factor in the cost of a second prop. No backup prop is akin to having no spare tire for the tow vehicle.

Good luck to you Bud.

Bernie

Chris

Lew

Roy

Ploywog

GCD

Thanks for your replies fellas....Ill have to get this dialup PC scenario changed as soon as we get the new tower out here for broadbend internet...no high sped out here.

Anyway, Ya guys...Ive always a spare everything on the boat and a prop I do have.

I will get at changing this up later today...and give it a shot.

The boat right now is out of the water but it wouldnt take much then a couple of secs to getér back in....I didnt want the season to be over just yet and yeah Lew...m,y son was really looking forward to this...he had booked off work about a month in advance for this outing as was I for his company..I dont see him near as much.

Im going to effect this change today and Ill let you know how it goes..........

Thanks for the heads up...

Certa9inly would be very decent if all it is....