Wading Jacket

KelfuN

some of you may know this is my first season fishing steelheads. im currently looking for a decent wading jacket yet affordable. I looked into the Cabela's gore tex model but its out of stock until 2-3 months later.

i still cant find a store in toronto which carries wading jackets, and it would be better if i can try on the jacket before i make any purchases.

im just wondering what you guys are all wearing for winter steelheading and what you would recommend?

I use the Bare Kodiak wading jacket. The jacket is bomb proof unlike their waders. I believe Le barons sells bare products so they may carry the jacket. The run about $300. I got mine at kingsway sports in guelph but I know Al flaherty's in west toronto carry them. But they are probably the most unfriendly sales people in TO. Tightlines in pickering also carry bare. He should be able to order the jacket in for you if he doesn't have it in stock.

I think BPS has their own brand of jackets and they carry them at the vaughn store. From what I remember it was not that expensive. They also carry simms jackets.

Wilson's on queen also carry wading jackets. They have simms, orvis and patagonia. Wilson's will also price match if some other store sells for cheaper. I like dealing with them.

If your on a budget any good waterproof jacket will do. Wading jacket have neat features such as larger pockets and neoprene cuffs but its something you can do without. Most important is to stay dry and warm.

Edited by super dave

Bass Pro carries Simms wading jackets. My dad got the Freestone jacket for under $250 including tax (I think they might have been clearing them out for the newer model). I got my Simms Classic guide jacket from Wilson's in Toronto. Can't remember exactly how much I paid but it wasn't cheap. I've worn it all times of the year for the last 5 seasons and it has served me well under very hard use. It's still going strong with no signs of rips, tears or leaks. Gore-tex is probably the best thing you could ever invest in.

I really like my LL Bean Rapid River wading jacket, which was made from Gore-TEX XCR. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be in LL Bean's catalog any longer.

LL Bean does, however, carry the Emerger wading jacket, still waterproof and breathable, which at US$79-89 sounds like a steal.

Other jackets worth considering:

- Orvis Tailwaters XT, currently on sale for $199 (vs $298) on the Orvis website
    - William Joseph Squal, for $198.72, available in limited sizes (i.e. nothing that fits me) at LeBaron is a nice-looking low-profile option