regulations for personal pontoon boats

forrest

I have heard of people getting tickets in paddle boats so I have to ask.

What regulations are there for those small pontoon boats that one uses flippers or oars to propel?

With and without motor.

forrest

My guess is the same as any other small craft, i.e. canoe, kayak etc. Make sure you have the proper safety equipment and you'll be fine.

From the Canadian Boating Regs:

Unpowered Craft up to 6 metres in length (19'8")

1 approved and properly sized lifejacket (yellow, red or orange) or PFD (personal floatation device) for each person on board

1 buoyant heaving 15 metres

one manual propelling device OR an anchor with 15 m (50') of cable, rope or chain

one Class 5BC fire extinguisher, if equipped with an inboard engine, a fixed fuel tank, or a fuelburning stove, fridge or heater.

1 hand-bailer OR manual pump with enough hose to pump water overboard [Not required for any self-bailing sealed hull sailboat that cannot contain enough water to make the vessel capsize OR a multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction.]

Sound signalling device

Navigation lights must comply with Collision Regulations [Not required unless operated at night or in restricted visibility.]

at my trailer,the kids often get to use a couple different neighbours paddle boats if they want..and yeeper they have to grab one of the safety kits I have for out boats..fortunately I have a couple...the kids also use my old 12 footer for a row boat...same deal goes..lifejackets on at all times too

My guess is the same as any other small craft, i.e. canoe, kayak etc. Make sure you have the proper safety equipment and you'll be fine.

From the Canadian Boating Regs:

Unpowered Craft up to 6 metres in length (19'8")

1 approved and properly sized lifejacket (yellow, red or orange) or PFD (personal floatation device) for each person on board

1 buoyant heaving 15 metres

one manual propelling device OR an anchor with 15 m (50') of cable, rope or chain

one Class 5BC fire extinguisher, if equipped with an inboard engine, a fixed fuel tank, or a fuelburning stove, fridge or heater.

1 hand-bailer OR manual pump with enough hose to pump water overboard [Not required for any self-bailing sealed hull sailboat that cannot contain enough water to make the vessel capsize OR a multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction.]

Sound signalling device

Navigation lights must comply with Collision Regulations [Not required unless operated at night or in restricted visibility.]

Jeez. All that crap would sink a kayak.

JF