anyone here fillet a Lake O salmon?

jrego7

I checked out the video jug way and it was so easy. I follow their steps and completed them easily. Until I had to take out those darn bones with pliers or tweezers. they would not come out so easily and if they did they would tear the meat ruining the appearance. The meat was not as colorful as the video jug example. Wednesday I caught a large male and filleted it. Today I caught a nice small male about 8-10 lbs. Still a silverish colour. Filleted it and the colour in meat was equal to the larger 15 lb male. Hmmm...

were these fish out of the river?

at any rate, I would NOT NOT NOT NOT eat a salmon out of the river right now, or even the harbour. These fish are breaking down, in their last stages of life and there would be no quality to their meat. The only way I would eat a salmon from lake O at the moment would if it were caught out in the blue zone.

Agreed. I would not eat ANY salmon this time of year...they aren't eating when they spawn, so the tissue breaks down and is awful. A few years back, my uncle caught a 35 pounder and when he picked it up his hand went right into the stomach! It was nasty...

Anyways, that's probably why the meat looks worse than the video and gets beaten up when you take out the bones. Smaller ones caught in the lake should be nicer for eating...

Not a Salmoon.

Not from the "blue zone".

... but some noice orange fillets!

AlbertaCanadaFishinPics016.jpg

... and I'm not drunk... I always look like that! ;)

Yummy! those fillets look like Lakers and wow he's got enough go around.

Edited by PatrickG

I could be wrong, but I beleive the MNR recomendations for eating sportfish in Ontario states 0, ZERO for pacific salmon out of lake O, whether they be out of the lake or out of the river (Barf) and the reason being is that they are a top predator in the food chain and so all the nasties get bioaccumulated and biomagnified in their tissue.

Since Lake O is not exactly the cleanest lake around, and since the fish seem to feed like crazy as they are staging out from the river mouths before making the journey to spawn up river and since that can be the most polluted water (ie. storm waterrunoff), Im not sure it is the healthiest thing to eat,..might make MikeyDeees look like a healthier choice. Just my $0.02

oh and as far as eating fish out of lake O and its tributaries...I had a resident bow bleed out on me two weeks ago. Beautiful fish, very large for a resident on the river I was on was probably around 16-17 inches and beautifully coloured.

anyways, moral of the store I took it home and cleaned it because im not one to toss a dead fish back into the stream and it was by far the BEST trout that I have ever tasted. Unbelieveable.

sad part is there was 4 hooks and roe bags in its stomach. Poor little guys pick at the ones we snag into logs until they come out, not knowing there is a hook in there

IMO, if you eat anything out of Lake Ontario, you should go for a physical the next day and check yourself for radiation. Those fish are full of mercury and God knows what else.

If you are concerned about mercury then you better stop fishing altogether as contamination is widespread throughout N America due to burning coal for power generation . Also keep in mind that our skin breathes so it does absorb toxins from air pollution as well as from the showers we take from our contaminated water sources.