fogging an engine

workwear

i know its been written a few times on here but im still not sure where to exactly spray the fogging oil into......i have a 6 cylinder fuel injected motor ....question is ....do i spray right into the injecters??.........if i take off my cowling.....i have 6 ports or intakes.....do i spray them individually or as a unit??

last year i brought it to a marina and a 150 dollars later it was all done

but i hear its a pretty easy job.....any help would be greatly appreciated

cheers peter

Peter.. remove the plugs and spray the lubricant into the cylinder. then manually turn the motor over just to get the pistons to lubricate the cylinder walls... or VERY briefly turn on the motor with the key... just enough to get the pistons to make a stroke or two.

G

nope.... I should add when you turn the engine over do it without the plugs in...

be sure you also add fuel stabilizer to your gas tank..

this is the advice that was given to me long ago from members of this board...

Hope it helps Peter

Don't try and fog the front half!!! Injectors will get messed up from the oil. Take a small jug of gas w/stabilizer in it and mix oil @ 50-1,disconnect your gas line and run the egine off the jug oil.This combined with your oil injection 50-1 ratio will give you a 25-1 mix which will oil your crank and bearings nicely,then spray fogging oil in your plug holes and turn engine over for a few seconds with the kill switch disconnected.Your power head is done :thumbsup_anim:

Guest gbfisher

I have two 4 stroke outboards.(Yamaha)

I change gear oil............. each year at the end of the season.

Engine oil change as well if needed.

I fog each cylinder with fogging oil,replace plugs and turn over with kill switch off for a second.

Drain the carb.

Haven't had any issues yet..... :whistling:

Then there's the boat.......make sure the pumps are dry or have antifreeze in em......

Read the manual for the motor.

The mercury 4 stroke EFI manual says to put a small amount of engine oil in each cylinder and rotate the fly wheel to distribute. It says nothing about fogging cylinders.

If anyone wants the storage page from the merc manual PM me (too tired to post pic)

Shouldn't there be a faq on winterizing motors?

forrest

Guest skeeter99

QUOTE!!

"Read the manual for the motor.

The mercury 4 stroke EFI manual says to put a small amount of engine oil in each cylinder and rotate the fly wheel to distribute. It says nothing about fogging cylinders.""

it says nothing about fogging cylinder, If I read your post "from the manual it says "small amount of engine oil in each cylinder"" that is fogging man and you say it has nothing to say about fogging cylinders!!!!

putting oil in the cylinder and rotating the engines fogs it man!!! you just dont do the intake side like you would in a 2 stroke by shooting oil in the carbs and letting it get sucked through the engine

Edited by skeeter99

QUOTE!!

"Read the manual for the motor.

The mercury 4 stroke EFI manual says to put a small amount of engine oil in each cylinder and rotate the fly wheel to distribute. It says nothing about fogging cylinders.""

it says nothing about fogging cylinder, If I read your post "from the manual it says "small amount of engine oil in each cylinder"" that is fogging man and you say it has nothing to say about fogging cylinders!!!!

putting oil in the cylinder and rotating the engines fogs it man!!! you just dont do the intake side like you would in a 2 stroke by shooting oil in the carbs and letting it get sucked through the engine

I got the part about fogging and the oil doing the same thing. So "fogging" oil is just a bit of a scam and regular oil does the same thing?

forrest

First don't fog an injected 4 stroke.And mixing oil with gas to run through the motor first of all won't lube the crank and bearings because they are in the oil sump.Also running pre mix through the injecors is not a good thing either.I had a Merc EFI 4 stroke for a few years and what I used to do was fill the fuel tank to the top and add fuel stabilzer.Run the motor on the lake or with a pair of muffs until the conditioned fuel is all the way up the fuel line.Then remove the fuel line fron the engine and

let it run until it is out of fuel.Then remove the plugs and spray a small amount of engine fogging into each cylinder and replace the plugs.Drain and refill lower unit with factory gear oil and replace .50 cent washer on both plugs.If the engine has power trim make sure to put the engine as far don as possible for winter storage.It makes sure that all water has drained and removes pressure off of the hydrolics.Before you start all this you may want to change the oil and filter as well.Then come spring just add battery and a lake and you are good to go.

But thats just what I do and I thought I would just add my personal opinion.

Dan

First don't fog an injected 4 stroke.I had a Merc EFI 4 stroke for a few years and what I used to do was fill the fuel tank to the top and add fuel stabilzer.Then remove the fuel line fron the engine and

let it run until it is out of fuel.Then remove the plugs and spray a small amount of engine fogging into each cylinder and replace the plugs.

Dan

:wallbash:

Guest skeeter99

Forrest

yep fogging oil is just oil, similar or not the same to motor oil except that is red in most cases

at my grandfathers small engine shop he used to run in seagrave ontario, he would just shoot 2 squirts of engine oil down the cylinders and be done with it and this was before fogging oil came out, just as good and no problems with customers engines in the spring

basically what he told is that all your are really trying to acheive by putting oil down the cylinder is to lubricate and prevent the piston rings from seizing and no tso much for rust and corrosion. you acutually get more rust in the summer months when your boat is parked or on the trailer due to the humidity and very little rust in the winter due to the cold and lack of humidity unless you store your engine indoors which actually is more harmful than letting your baby freeze outside, unless your storage is very low humidity. irishfield said soemthing along the same lines aircraft engine stored inside heated was corroded and seized

Edited by skeeter99

Let’s clarify a few things first.

The purpose of ‘fogging’ is to atomize oil into a mist capable of being carried throughout the engine surfaces in order to coat all internal parts from throttle shafts to exhaust exits. Heavy weight oils of course will drop out of suspension prematurely and may not have the additive formulation intended to prevent long term oxidation, have the ability to soak into the metal pores, maintain film strength and importantly not turn corrosive. It is not recommended and in fact poor practice to run an engine to fog and by all means there is no valid reason to not fog internals of an EFI engine.

Spraying oil into cylinders is not fogging you are simply coating the cylinder walls while possibly leaving other parts uncoated and vulnerable to corrosion. By the way in order to correctly oil cylinder walls you must make sure that the oil accumulates around the full circumference of the piston rings before and during the full travel of the bore, those who leave cylinders in a horizontal position obviously will not get the best results.

The best product by far to use is synthetic assembly lube, it will maintain film strength, has superior anti oxidation properties and will reduce wear during the next initial start up.

Leaving old oil including filters in an overwintering engine is poor practice period. Oil turns acid over time and additives degrade, conventional oils also attract moisture and have less than ideal hydrophobic abilities. It is also important to run the engine to full operating temperature prior to maintenance in order to reduce moisture on internal surfaces!