Making $300 bucks go a long way...

MCTFisher9120

As i now have a job set up i am getting myself a nice amount of gear for next year. Here is what i am 99.99% certain about getting, i read many of the BPS's reviews on the items i selected and i think im on the right track. Are there any items i may want to reconsider before i place my order?

Bass Pro Shops Nitro Big Bass Reel(Baitcast)

Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade Trigger Rod (7', MH 2-pc)

P-Line Fluoroclear Fishing Line (600 Yards, 12lb)

Berkly Trilene XL Smooth Casting Line (1000 Yards, Clear, 14lb)

Yum Dinger Worm 5" Bubble Gum/Lemon Swirl (2 packs)

Yum Dinger Worm 5" Black/Blue Laminate

Yum Garrett Mega Tube White/Silver Flake

Strike King Coffee Tube 3 1/2" Natural Goby

Original Lunker Lure Buzz Bait Black/Silver Blade 3/8oz

Gamakatsu EWG Worm Hook 4/0 (2 Packs)

Bite Me Tube Heads 3/16oz

Cotton Cordell Jointed Wally Diver (Perch)

Rapala Husky Jerk Minnow (HJ12, Fire Tiger)

Rapala Skitter Pop (Frog, 1/4oz)

Rapala X-Rap Xtreme Action Slashbait (XR10, Gold)

Rapala X-Rap Xtreme Action Slashbait (XR10, Purple Ghost)

Rapala Jointed Minnow (J13, Pike)

Rapala X-Rap Jointed Shad(Gold)

Rapala DT Series Crankbait (DT06, Shad)

Thats it, im pretty sure I have picked good lures for a mixture of species.

Thanks for any help and or tips given. :D

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I also suggest Going to Lebarons 300 bucks can go a long way there, as for your X-raps might i suggest picking a perch pattern they produce, the coffee tubes

work really well in the states they use coffee grains in their feed for bass stocked ponds try sticking with Yum tubes Smoke or brown with red specks in it.

Edited by PatrickG

Dump mono & flouro lines, swap the PowerPro suggestion for Tuf-Line, 1/3 cheaper.

Change the X-Rap colours to perch & clown.

nah....hes got perch already....who in their right mind does not have perch in their arsenal?

ditch the 1600 yards of line and go with a good braid backing and leader (mono or flouro)

What about floats?

jerkbait of size hJ14?

forrest

I was at Le Baron today and picked up two nice rods off the clearance rack, one is a Compre sale price 49.00

Also check out Gagnon in Oshawa they may have some deals.

A good deal at Gagnon's? There is a better chance of it snowing in Oshawa this weekend. But, its worth an indivudual comparing the prices to see for themselves.

$49 for a Compre? did they have any Muskie rods? Lebarons had a bunch of Rapala lures on sale too.

forrest

I was also at le baron tonight around 8. all the rods left at the clearance rack were shakespeare.

+1 on the doing the shopping at le baron, its way cheaper. i think they sell the powerpro 150yd for like $16, but BPS would sell them for $22.

Remember what many of you guys were doing on this site 3 to 4 months before BPS opened in Vaughan?

Many were singing on this site - "bye, bye, Le Baron". I guess many wanted to see LB to close down. Many expected paradise by having BPS come here.

And I said to myself - "these turkeys think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Well, is the grass greener on the other side?

But today, many of you are very positive towards Le Baron. I wonder why?

I have not been to BPS so far and I do not plan to. But I would like to see Cabela's open up here even if it is in Quebec. I will stay with LB except if it is fly fishing or fly tying.

Have a nice day.

carp-starter

Change the X-Rap colours to perch & clown.

I already have clown the pattern x-rap at home. As for the perch pattern I'm going to stick with the Husky Jerk Minnow. The Purple Ghost and the Gold worked well for me last year up at Lake Seymour....but I lost them both.

jerkbait of size hJ14?

Thanks i didn't relize the size of that lure, I changed it to the HJ12.

Either you already own a 1/2 oz chart/white spinnerbait, or it's missing from your list ;) Best crossover bass/pike/musky/occasional walleye lure I know of, especially in the weeds and cover.

Of coarse I have those spinnerbaits. Both are in the tackle box. I have only used them for a short time this year, i never really caught anything on them yet.....i guess because i dont use them. I might make room to get another spinnerbait. Any suggestions for a brand?

Thanks for the info everyone, I am slowly making changes.

Remember what many of you guys were doing on this site 3 to 4 months before BPS opened in Vaughan?

Many were singing on this site - "bye, bye, Le Baron". I guess many wanted to see LB to close down. Many expected paradise by having BPS come here.

And I said to myself - "these turkeys think that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence". Well, is the grass greener on the other side?

But today, many of you are very positive towards Le Baron. I wonder why?

I have not been to BPS so far and I do not plan to. But I would like to see Cabela's open up here even if it is in Quebec. I will stay with LB except if it is fly fishing or fly tying.

Have a nice day.

carp-starter

Good point CS but to each his own, I have been unhappy with Le Baron in the past and their return policy is unacceptable IMO. On the other hand I was just like Mattones, I went to Bass Pro Vaughn and was prepared to spend plenty! Instead the service , attitude and treatment given me was a disgrace so I left the store with my $1000.00 shopping list and zero sale for BPS. To date the store manager has not shown that the issues I had experienced would be corrected to any level of satisfaction so I will avoid the store until I hear differently. Cabela's on the other hand has been quite satisfactory so far I am sure that Cabela's will raise the bar significantly soon enough.

You might want to try Walmart right now as they are clearing out a lot of summer stock.I just noticed last night they had 50 lb Power Pro for 14 bucks here in Orillia and a large assortment of brand name lures and lots of Gulp stuff.I got the 3" shiner minnow bucket for 15 bucks.

Kerry

Wal-Mart here sells 150 yd spools of Power Pro for $14 regular price...& it's on sale now for $11 a spool! I've been to Bass Pro in Vaughn a few times now & except for the first time (as it was my first time to Bass Pro), I haven't been overly impressed! Although I will say the selection/layout is by far superior to Bass Pro in Auburn Hills. BUT....tackle is so much cheaper in the states!!!

I'd recommend adding a few chatterbaits to your list...I started using them this year & have had good success with them!

Get a few in-line spinners as well, you can catch pretty well any fish that swims with them....always good to have a few handy! I prefer the Mepps XD...which for some reason are getting harder & harder to find...but are definately worth it when you do!

I might make room to get another spinnerbait. Any suggestions for a brand?

I prefer Terminators, just because the occasional Musky does not ruin them the way they do with a steel-frame spinnerbait. Otherwise, get one with good swivels and good hooks. Spinnerbaits work, and for way more than bass. Lots of folks don't have confidence in them because they don't look like anything a fish would eat. They are usually better when there is a bit of wind.