gear for dipsy divers.....

forrest

First non-river fishing experience today....went well I think....3 fish!

So after some looking around I want some dipsy divers or jet divers.....

What I need to avoid is being under geared for using them

I have medium and medium heavy rods (8-17lb rod test) with 14lb braid and mono and a medium-light 9ft rod with 10 lb.

My rod holder are Scotty S-10s

I have accepted that I am not going to be able to troll with 100 ft of line.

Are my rods going to snap in half?

Is the mono a no go?

thanks in advance for the good advice.

forrest

Nice outing considering how slow the fishing was today!

I don't think I'd bother with Jet Divers, you can accomplish the same thing with a Dipsy as you can with a Jet but a Jet can't do what a Dipsy can - get out away from the boat and down.

I prefer a heavier rod for dipsy's. I use Daiwa Heartland 9'6" Heavy... tons of backbone. Dual purpose for me as I also use them for Muskie trolling. It's also nice that they can be had for $35.00 ea.

I prefer braid for dipsy's. Easier to release when lure changing (no stretch) and the dive easier because of the small diameter. Some folks like mono for dipsy's.

Your setup is a little light IMO for salmon on the dipsy. My heavy action rods are stressed enough just pulling the dipsy's, having a westbound salmon hitting your eastbound lure might spoil your day. For walleye, you're probably fine.

Your S-10 Salty's are fine, just be sure the check the clamps periodically.

-Brian

I'm with Slowpoke on all three fronts!

Don't bother with the jet divers - the Dipsies are the weapon of choice. The Torpedos are OK, but I prefer the Dipsies so have relegated the Torpedos to a tail gunner role.

The Heartland rods work well as do the Okuma dipsy rods, but the Heartlands are less expensive.

In terms of line, we run 50lb braid and 30lb wire for our dipsy set-ups for Kings on Okuma Catalina 30s.

The Catalinas are superior to the Convectors - the Tekotas are also very nice.

Tightlines,

TNL.

Edited by Tundra N Lightning

I run 7-strand wire on my wire setup and buds have lost their dipseys/SDs/flies on braid since any nick in braid causes it to fail miserably and at the worst possible times. The wire is like $47. for a 1000 yard spool, but it's worth it. No fleas and failures as often as braid. Forget mono since you want the no-stretch of wire to yank the dipsey repease open when changing baits/reeling in the Dipseys. I've converted a coupla Pete Maina musky rods (extra and heavy action) to wire rods by sticking a twilly tip onto the end. Does a great job and I've caught some silver salmon around 29lbs on the same setup as is still going strong now into fall season.

Edited by cisco

The wire is like $47. for a 1000 yard spool, but it's worth it. No fleas and failures as often as braid.

$47 for 1000 feet, not yards.

Wire is not immune to fleas but certainly better than braid. This is one of the reasons I set up a wire rod... I didn't want to run flea-flicker for a dipsy setup.

lots of great points here, and also lots of learning to do along the way too, I learned more this summer about running different set-ups like this then ever thanks to being able to get out with one of my fishin buddies who also happens to do some charters as well, I can tell you that running a 10-12 rod spread is alot different than going out with a buddy running 2-3 rods off your boat.

You need to experiment a little bit and read up a bit on things like what depths ect the different sized dipsies run at for example,and how deep they run at different settings so you can cover alot of water but also at the same time be able to run them while trying to avoid tangles with other the other lines that are out.

You can also have alot of success by running smaller dipsies off boards for example, but also do not overlook jets for this either, they work great for getting fish that are in the upper 30 feet or so of the water column off the inline boards for example.

You do need good rod holders for sure, and a decent trolling rod, or you stuff isn't going to last much longer than one season....also a good tip..reels with a line counter are definately an asset for this kind of fishing, not only will it help you with running your baits according to the charts for dipsies and jets ect, but it will also help you develope some patterns to catch you more fish :Gonefishing: