Skunked Twice! carp are finicky

badboi

So I went out to lakefront promenade park and there are tons of big carp crusing around, they are surfacing all over the place, even 5 feet away from shore

I have went out twice and not even a solid hit. First day I used some canned green giant sweet corn strait on the hook with a sliding weight....I also tried a small piece of hot dog

the second day (this evening) I used a hair rig with the same baits...........

back in BC when i saw carp surfacing I would throw pieces of white bread at them and they would take them off the surface readily.....Here, nadda..........

any tips on how I can improve my luck?

thanks

If you see them cruising around, most likely they aren't feeding. Throw two or three softball size chum balls (bread crumb, corn meals, with some canned corn (whole kernel or cream style)) in a spot. If they don't stop and show you their tails then forget about bottom fishing for them.

Throw pieces of bread about 1" in size and see if they would take them on the surface (if geese or ducks are around then it will be impossible to do so), if they do, hook one piece with no weight and try to get them to take it on the surface. Watch it carefully, it's not an easy task to unhook an angry bird...

BTW, try fishing two hours before dark or after day break. At this time of year with the temperature we're having, there is no point fishing for them if they are seen close to the surface especially when sun is up.

Also, if you see them, they see you too. They aren't that stupid ...

they may be finicky, but lets not forget ugly too. To me, it sounds like you're doing everything right. I do whatever I can to keep them off my hook, you should do the same.

X2 :)

Seriously though, you've come to the right board for advice on carp...some serious pros on here.

So many memories from that spot when the powerplant was still there. I spent a lot of time there when my dad worked in the plant. Fish would come out year round because of the warm water discharge. In other places I've caught carp well into October - I usually switch to fishing steelhead around that time. If the water isn't iced over, you can pretty much catch them year round.

I'm guessing the place is still infested with gobies. If you use canned corn, there's a great possibility that you're going to get picked off quite a bit...The gobies annihilate any soft baits like canned corn, bread, worms, doughballs, etc and tear them to pieces. If you're stuck in the city and without a car, go over to the nearest bulk-food store for bait. Chick peas, black-eye beans and kidney beans make excellent hookbaits when you buy the dry ones, soak them overnight and then boil them for 10-15 minutes - You can flavour them if you wish (I find the canned versions a little too soft). If you're lucky enough to drive to a farm-feed store, maize (AKA cattle corn) works well if you soak 24hrs and boil for 30min. These baits are attractive to carp yet they're durable enough to withstand the gobies. The alternative is to tie up your corn in a spawn sack often used by steelheaders for their roe bags.

For a relatively inexpensive and available chumming mix (aka groundbait) that can be purchased at a bulk-food store; bread crumbs + brown sugar (or molasses) + 12 grain cereal + cornmeal + enough water to dampen the mix is effective at attracting and holding carp in an area you're fishing. Both the scent and the cloud in the water attracts fish and gets them rooting around for the small bits of food. Adding a handful of whatever you're using as the hookbait adds to the effectiveness of the mix. Everyone has their own secret recipes for groundbait - Myself included :whistling:

Best of luck