Gone fishin'

Mike Pike

When you get a beauty day like today in September, it's a shame to have to work! So I took a vacation day to do a little fishing on the Grand in the Caledonia area.

Made it for sun up, jumped into the waders and way I went.

gallery_35_528_26228.jpg

Pretty much had the river all to myself this morning, too, other than this guy.

gallery_35_528_56889.jpg

Although I think I liked his company more than he liked mine.

gallery_35_528_10507.jpg

Got to debut my new rod today too. Picked up a StCroix 7-foot Premium Series rod they rate medium-lite power and fast action. It's gotta be able to do a lot of things well on the river from casting spinners to dragging tubes to float fishing, etc. Pretty much whatever the bass are in the mood for. I'm pretty happy with its versatility cuz I did have to try a little bit of everything today.

Missed a few with the spinners and tubes so I stared floating worms past their noses and got into a few.

gallery_35_528_15250.jpg

They didn't get much over a foot today but they were plentyful and I managed about 8 or so.

gallery_35_528_30022.jpg

They were a scrappy lot this morning and when they weren't jumping, they'd just dig into that current and give you a good little scrap.

gallery_35_528_26886.jpg

As the sun went higher, the bass bite died off but the Mooneye began to hit and I was able to catch a couple of them too.

gallery_35_528_1435.jpg

Another highlight of the day was watching an Osprey working the water just down stream from me. Man, those things are huge and watching 'em dive into the water after their meal is really a thrill.

A good day today and maybe I'll have to take tomorrow off too!

gallery_35_528_46395.jpg

Sounds like a good day. I think you'll really like the St. Croix. I bought the exact same rod at the start of year, mostly with the idea of using it for bass fishing the Grand, plus other similar rivers, and it's been great. It's also worked well for me casting for browns in the upper grand too.

awesome day on the water dude - I didn't know mooneye were readily available!

cheers,

UF

Ya, some flyfishers like heading to Caledonia to fish for 'em apparently 'cuz they're fun on the fly. They kinda remind me of saltwater fish( jacks or snapper )with that real silvery sheen and flat body.

And thanks for all the comments guys.

Sounds like a good day. I think you'll really like the St. Croix. I bought the exact same rod at the start of year, mostly with the idea of using it for bass fishing the Grand, plus other similar rivers, and it's been great. It's also worked well for me casting for browns in the upper grand too.

Nice to know I made a good choice. Unlike the boat guys, us river rats have to go with one rod in hand and we ask it to do a lot of different things. Kinda like making a golfer play with one club! lol