Looking For A Ice Auger (hand)

BFSC Kevin

i dont mind a used one since i dont think i'll be going THAT often to make it worth it for me to buy a new one. but if i can't find a used one, i'll settle for a used one. But i believe there are different kinds of blades? What should i be expecting in a ice auger other then just doing the job? lol. well this year will be my first time fishing hard water offically. The first time i just went with my dad and we didn't exactly know what we were doing.. well any directions to where i can get a used or new one would be great! thanks

I fish locally once we have decent ice and I use a hand auger I bought at Canadian Tire. 6" SwedeBore and it works great for me, a hand auger can be tougher as the season drags due to the thicker ice but it well worth the money. If you are ever in town here let me know and we'll see if we can hook up and get out. The ice locally isn't good yet but within a week or so should be okay. Come on cold.

Hand auger - go with the 8" blade about $100 at Le Baron or CDN tire ... ebay has a few as well

I would say go with new because you're probably gonna want new blades if you buy used (nothing worse than trying to drill a hole with dull blades) and the blades are about $30 ... but they come with the auger when you buy it new) ... also DO NOT try to sharpen these yourself ... its the fastest way to ruin your auger .. and hurt yourself .. even when dull these blades are RAZOR sharp !

i tried to look them up on LB's site but they havent updated for the 2007 season. i saw a Normark Ice Fishing Auger 6 in. $64.99 at canadian tire. http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_deta...D=1168907543847 .. i might go for that.. any comments on it? or pay $5 for a 8 inch.. im not too sure if it will matter to me that 2 inch difference, in terms of fishing, im more concerned about me doing more work in drilling.. haha..

I have tried many of hand augers and I have found that the Strikemaster is about one of the fastest cutting augers.About 110.00 for an 8".I bought mine from Sam at Carra Outdoors when he was in Burlington.Like others have said dont waste your money or time on used a used hand auger.Dull blades are the biggest pain in the back and arms.And new blades are not cheap.

i found a STRIKEMASTER MORA 8" from US for $15. brand new. but shipping is $30. worth it?

aswell, the person posted that it is a telescoping one, not a two peice. anyone know the reason why, i would a telescoping one be not as good(ie slide while you're drilling)?

well.. i just bought that brand new strikemaster mora 8inch from ebay for $40 shipped(should be).. should arrive within 2 weeks from the states i hope. $30 for shipping, $10 for product.. wow.. haha.. well anyways! any tips for me as it being my first auger? besides the one where i shouldnt bang it on the ice and spray it down with wd 40?

When you do find one and get to use it never even tap it on the ice. If you do it will bend the blades and it wont cut worth a darn. I remember doing this as a kid and almost got my butt kicked by my Dad! Come to think of it, :lol: I did.

[/quote

:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim: Same here nip, but it was my buddy that just about whooped my butt for knocking his blade on a metal spoon when resting the auger. I learnt a great lesson day. Never ever touch the blade to anything but ice that you intend to slice through. It only cost me one black eye and a few broken ribs! ;) cheers, sturgman

Edited by sturgman

Here a little preach - rant for ya ...

We are talking about a tank and a half of gas ... less than what you will probably use for your first weekend trip for something that will last you a life time !

Why do we feel the need to 'save' 5$ or even $20 .... the rule is you will NEVER be sorry that you invested in the best ... but you will almost certainly be sorry you didnt ... and when that time comes ... it will cost you 10 times what you thought you were saving ... and perhaps ruin the trip of a lifetime ...

I know that every time I use a toy which I 'splurged' just that little bit extra to get the highest quality I could afford ... I get a bonus of feeling like its christmas - every day - life is sooo short why not enjoy it ... besides ... when you make that 'sacrifice' and comprimise for just good enough - not only do you pay for it in quality - you know it and 'pay' for it in Karma every time you use it.

end of rant :)

Now ... to answer your question ... the 'extra' effort to drill your hole is not that much .... but when you are fighting a big whitey, pike or laker and lose it at the hole ... you really don't need to be asking .... jeeze if I only spent the extra $5 and 10 calories of sweat to drill a full size hole I might just have landed her .... for me at least (having lost more than a few BIG fish at the hole ... every extra inch is critical :)

Edited by camillj

Keep your fingers away from the blades and alway put the cover back on over the blades when not in use...carry a few bandaides in a spare pocket if you forget what I said...

Btw...I should have mentioned to carefully wipe the blades clean and dry before replacing the cover...

Edited by Beans

The Strikemaster Mora

Strikemaster_Mora.jpg

allows two anglers to put one hand (each) on the top handle, and the other hand on the crank to make drilling through the ice easier... while the

Normark Finbore

Normark_Finbore_111.jpg

doesn't have that flat tophandle, so only one person can operate the auger.

Something to consider. I remember my friend and I assisting each other on the 2.5' of ice, and it made the chore easier. ;)