Fishing in Miami?

kickingfrog

Taking yer car & kayak? A friend of mine spends a few months/yr in the Everglades and does a lot of kayak fishing - fresh & coastal waters. Or go a little south to the Keys and do some flats fishing. I can probably get some locations for you if you're mobile.

JF

Taking yer car & kayak? A friend of mine spends a few months/yr in the Everglades and does a lot of kayak fishing - fresh & coastal waters. Or go a little south to the Keys and do some flats fishing. I can probably get some locations for you if you're mobile.

JF

YEAH!!!

... I'd wanna go "yakkin'" with Gators...

YEAH!!!

... I'd wanna go "yakkin'" with Gators...

Don't fergit the snakes.

Speaking of snakes, a friend of mine was scuab diving (actually doing a shallow drift dive down one of those gin-clear Northern Florida spring fed rivers) and when he got to the exit point he eased on over and surfaced at aladder. He climbed the ladder and as his head and shoulders cleared the water he felt an extra weight dragging on him. Thinking he'd surfaced beneath a floating branch or weed he brushed at it, and it moved tooooooo much. He dropped back into the water and looked up to see a 5-6' snake undulating away across the river. Gives me the heeby-jeebies just thinking about it. He doesn't know what kind of snake it was. I asked "Does it really matter?"

JF

I asked your water type preferance because your options are many and varied.

I have spent several years down there (cumulatively) working different construction jobs.

Here are a few.

Freshwater:

1. Fishing the drainage canals in the Everglades on either the Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley (2 major highways connecting the west coast to the east coast). These canals contain big Bass, Bowfin, Tilapia, Oscars, Picu, Gar and many more!

2. Lake Okeechobee isn't that far away, you can rent anything from a little tinny to a fully rigged Bass boat. Just fishing the ring canal around the lake can be an experience.

3. Fish any drainage canal/ditch along any road... you'll be surprised what you can pull out of those things!

Saltwater:

1. Drift/Party boats go out for 4 hr. trips and they're cheap (prolly $30 a head now), you go out 3-5 miles with 20-30 other folks and fish for King Mackeral, Sailfish, Barracuda, and even have a chance of catching a White Marlin among other things. All bait, tackle, and licenses are included in the price.

2. Public beach fishing piers, these are fun especially at night! Fish for Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Barracuda, Sharks, Tarpon, Snook, and much more... the "people watching" can be as fun as the fishing!

3. Bridge and Mangrove island fishin' down around the Keys is also a blast if you have the time. The same type fish as mentioned above.

A word of caution:

When driving around down there, stick to the main roads. I 95, U.S. 1, and A1A (beach road) North and South, and 4 lane roads East and West. Traveling 2 lane streets east and west can put you in some less than desireable neighborhoods just a short 2 blocks west of U.S. 1 (you won't be able to get out of there quick enough!)

If you see a woman hitch hiking on U.S. 1 or A1A, she doesn't really want a ride...she wants to...uh... sell you "something"...

Car windows up and doors locked!

Edited by GCD