Pier fishing the tribs: A little help?

BillM

Hey guys,

Looks like a lot of people are getting ready for the mouths of the tribs to get stacked up with monster black beauties.. When it comes to pier fishing, are any better then others? I'd love to take off at work one day (401/Dixie) and hit a local river mouth for a few hours casting cleo's. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. No honey holes or anything like that, if you feel better I'll glady except PM's.

Fishing partners are also glady excepted! I'll bring the coffee :)

my experience with piers or river mouths are best on overcast or rainy days.but night fishing is usually the best with glow spoons.during the day i prefer to chunk gobs of skien those slimy buggers cant resit the skien.

I fish bronte pier and used to go to Owen Sound quite a bit back in the day when there used to be fish.

I preffer going to creeks and fish for them in deep holes floating eggs and chucking little mepps spinners.

I find it that the green and black ones work the best.

I heard people talk about fishing them using Fish skiens, whats a fish Skien.

Is that just like a piece of skin or??

Sorry if that is a dumb question lol i just have no clue what it is and would like to try it this fall

Thank you

I heard people talk about fishing them using Fish skiens, whats a fish Skien.

Is that just like a piece of skin or??

Sorry if that is a dumb question lol i just have no clue what it is and would like to try it this fall

Thank you

skien is the skin that holds the roe (eggs) together...

A little research and some SERIOUS time Bill! I only really fished the piers one season, as last year I fished from a boat instead. I used all the regular baits, Glow Spoons, Rapala J-13's, fished in the evening, all night and before sunrise. I probably went out 10 times and didn't get a bite. Finally, I go one morning well after the early crew was gone, and nailed a beauty who nearly spooled me...on guess what...some NO-Name orange rapala immitation lure that had been sitting on the bottom of my tackle box for years.....anyways, she straitens the hook on me and get's off.... that night I got some new hooks for my old lure and wouldn't you know it, the next morning at around 9 a.m. I hook into another within' 10 casts. This one I landed, but at the expense of my lure. It was cracked in half, never to be fished again. Anyways, you just never know what they want....it might be that old lure sittin' in the bottom of your tackle box....

BUT, if I had to make a list it'd be this:

1) a hat with the built-in lights (doubles as a spoon charger)

2) Multiple different kinds of glow in the dark spoons

3) Some Rapala j-13's (blue/firetiger/chartreuse)

4) J-Plugs and Lymans (these are lighter and would probably be hard to cast very far)

Spool up with some 30lb braid as it's strong enough to fight the fish and has a thin enough diameter to cast really far out. If the water is clear, add a fluoro leader.

Good luck,

UF

thank you.

Never would have thought that the skein would make a good bait.

Marko, somebody better chime in here or you'll be trying to use a disgusting blob of mucous on your hook as bait :P .

When guys talk about using "skein" for salmon, they're NOT referring literally to the membrane that holds the immature eggs together.

They're using chunks of SKEINED EGGS. That is, immature eggs encased in a membrane.

You take the skein (eggs encased by membrane), butterfly it open, cure it (Pro Cure is good), then cut it into chunks and use as bait.

The immature eggs are softer than loose mature eggs and "milk" more scent into the water.

The membrane helps hold the egg chunk together so it stays on the hook better.

Some guys will open the skein up and carefully scrape the eggs out so they're all loose and membrane free then tie them up with spawn net. That works good and is very effective as well although not necessary for estuary salmon fishing IMO.

where exactly can u buy fish skeins?

Right now you can get all the free skein you want at pretty much any cleaning station along Lake Ontario's north shore right now.

The charter guys will generally clean the days catch and throw out the skeins along with the rest of the guts.

My bud grabbed me some from the cleaning station in Port Credit earlier this week...

Beyond that, go down to your local pier and throw a few spoons around. You might get lucky and catch a female salmon.