TV question NF - need advice re Surround System!

Headhunter

Hi folks,

Well, last Wednesday my old tube TV decided to end it's own life, 15 years and many happy memories later, she's toast! I bought a new Panasonic Viera 46 incher,

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

that night and it looks great! But I have a problem and I'm wondering if any of you have a solution of suggestion.

My centre channel used to sit on top of my old tube tv... well with the flat panel plasma, my Paradigm CC has no where to sit. The TV is resting in the stand that came with it, I have not mounted it to a wall and don't intend to, but right now, my CC is not close to the centre of the tv. I can't simply put it on the stand in front of the TV as it will then block out the remote eye.

Does anyone have a suggestion, re brackets or a home made solution?

I'd appreciate any ideas!

Thanks,

HH

HeadHunter, I built a shelf right behind my RP LCD for my CC. It is level with the top of the TV, so it looks like the CC is just floating above it.(You can't see the shelf at all) A small piece of plywood painted black and a few brackets/screws was all it took.. The top of the TV is about 14inches or so from the wall.. Worked out really well..

Edited by BillM

Addy... I'm actually not sure if my Onkyo receiver allows me to do that! Regardless, the centre channel is currently sitting right above the front left surround speaker so, setting up a signal delay wouldn't really solve the problem from a sound definition perspective.

HH

Thanks guys, Bernie, the speakers in my new tv are still no where near as good as the PSB fronts I use, so that suggestion, although appreciated, doesn't solve my problem.

Peter, I've seen and heard that Yammy and yah, it's a great solution to multiple speakers, but I already have a centre channel from Paradigm and my problem is actually how do I mount it so that it is dead centre of the tv... the Yammy would present the same problem.

HH

Can you try the speaker behind the TV? Is the TV just on the stand on the floor or on the TV stand on something else? If being behind doesn't screw up the sound too much that might be your best bet finding some way to mount it after you see if it works.... My Paradigm from behind the CRT I have sounds fine to me, but then I have been told I am deaf in one ear (65% true) and that I refuse to listen out of the other (100% true unless you saying something I want to hear)

Canuck... I tried putting it behind the tv, but I lost virtually all high end from the centre channel as the TV was deflecting it all over the place.

Gerritt... the top of my tv can't be any more than 3 inches wide. Not sure if even rubber would provide the solid holding power I will need. Also, I'm concerned that the weight on top of the tv might not be a good idea :dunno: , it get pretty darn hot and not sure if the plastic frame is designed to hold that weight.

Thanks guys and keep 'em coming if you can!

HH

Joe... it will support it... your CC weighs what 5lbs?... use aluminum and Velcro.. it will hold. I have done this to more then one plasma/lcd with no problems.

if you are really concerned use the mounting holes on the back of the TV...

Edited by Gerritt

IT HAS MOUNTING HOLES ON THE BACK!!!!!

I did not know that! Ok... so now I have to look.

BTW - I did call Panasonic and they told me to call Bay Bloor Radio as they felt they would have a solution. I'd have to sell my first born to buy anything there!

I just did a quick check online at the Paradigm site and according to Paradigm, my centre channel is almost 20lbs!

I'll check tonight.

HH

Thanks guys, Bernie, the speakers in my new tv are still no where near as good as the PSB fronts I use, so that suggestion, although appreciated, doesn't solve my problem.

What Bernie was suggesting is that the TV speakers become the CC (Center Channel) from the receiver and your main speakers are still your main speakers. Some TV's have a CC input and an option within the settings to enable this. Works very well. When I set up my basement HT I was shopping for a CC speaker and connected in this manner until I found the right one. Never did buy the CC setup, it was that good.

Gerritt has the proper solution, now you just need to work on those mains. ;)

-Brian

IT HAS MOUNTING HOLES ON THE BACK!!!!!

I did not know that! Ok... so now I have to look.

BTW - I did call Panasonic and they told me to call Bay Bloor Radio as they felt they would have a solution. I'd have to sell my first born to buy anything there!

I just did a quick check online at the Paradigm site and according to Paradigm, my centre channel is almost 20lbs!

I'll check tonight.

HH

I do tend to agree that it will cost you a fortune to buy something from Bay Bloor but it won't cost you anything but your time to see it or get a model number over the phone and then GET it somewhere else for a lot less..... We used to have a guy in town that EVERYONE would go to for any audio/video advice or ideas. Then because he only had one sale a year everyone would usually take his advice but buy the item much cheaper elsewhere...