Preparing Brook Trout

Zubris21

So now that I'm in a completely different part of the country, with (for the most part) completely different species of fish, I had a question. I see many of you pan frying whole brook trout. The question is, whats the best way to do this? Seems like fried in butter is a top choice... I would also imagine that the prep work is simply field dressing them (removing guts/gills).

Do you use a light coating of batter?

Also does anyone have any good home made batter recipe's they'd be willing to share, I've been using PC seasoned bread crumbs, which is amazing, but can't get them up here unfortunately. I looked in the recipe section but all I could find was Gerrits wet-batter recipe, and I tend to prefer dry.

any help would be appreciated, I can't wait to try my first brook trout.

For trout,

Beat on egg into a bowl and in another crush soda biscuits. Dip trout into egg then into soda biscuits and then into the pan with butter.

For walleye,

substitute the biscuits for Froot Loops cereale.

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

I prepare them the way you say, gutted & gilled - remove the slime from the skin of the fish, completely changes the taste to a much less fishy, yet at the same time more flavorful taste. I then coat them in buttermilk pancake mix and put a clementine or lemon wedge or two in the belly.

For trout,

Beat on egg into a bowl and in another crush soda biscuits. Dip trout into egg then into soda biscuits and then into the pan with butter.

For walleye,

substitute the biscuits for Froot Loops cereale.

Leechman

I've made ton's of walleye before, but froot loops you can't be serious....

that dinner looks incredible.. I will most certainly try to copy that as best I can. It looks like you also cut the heads off before frying?

Yes nothing pleasant about seeing a fish eye staring up at you from the plate. Head,gut and gill. And enjoy remember the fins are tasty as well just like crunchy chips.

I just clean them. Wash off all slime. Soak them in milk for about 20 minutes. Mix up a 50/50 mix of all purpose flour and rice flour with some salt and pepper and a little bit of real butter, not mnargarine in the pan and thats it. I grew up eating them like this. You can also fry a slice of Bologhna first in the pan to give a different flavor. OH I cut them from the back and butterfly them rather then cleaning them the usuall way. I also take out any bones that way. Mmmmmmm. Great now I'm hungry!

Edited by smalliefisher