Rod & Reel suggestions

Breach

Im just starting back up, and its been so long since I bought a rod that I now have no idea what to get. Mostly pike and bass (large & small) in my lake. I'll add more rods eventually, but I would love some suggestions for a good one to start back up with, reel too.

I'm not a big fan of Wallymart, but I did buy a rod & reel combo for my wife there before our trip to the cottage a month ago. It was an Abu Garcia Controller combo for $38. I put 40lb power pro line on it and she caught this musky right off the dock.

dockski.jpg

She used it this past week again when we returned for another week and has had no problems with the combo. It has a nice cork handle and is a medium sized spinning outfit just right for your needs. You can always move up to a more expensive set up and keep this as an alternate.

Edited by jediangler

Shimano 4000 spinning reel and shimano medium action rod FX series combo should be OK for what you are targetting. That is what I'm using and don't have anything negative to say about it. Just love'em....but if you intend to fish the heavy cover lilypads and salad....get a bait caster reel combo with a heavy action fast tip.

Leechman

Keep it simple and cheap until you know for sure you're going to be taking up the sport with more seriousness. I'd say try to spend under $60-75. You should be able to get a good set up. I use a 6'6 Shimano Sojourns rod which is bottom of the line for shimano. I also have an abu garcia cardinal 502 spinning reel. probably spent around $75 total, but I got the reel 1/2 price. Even though the rod is low end, it works great for everything I do, from pulling largies outta cover, casting for pike 3-8lb range, and trolling for walleye up to 10lbs. Keep an eye out for sales in the Canadian tire flyer, they always have some sort of deal during the summer.

I used a baitcaster once and spent the next few hours trying to untangle it. Ive only ever really used spinning rods, so thats what Id be going for at the moment. As I was saying, I will be adding more in the future, I just wanted to get one that I could start back up with that would last me for a bit. The length on some of them confuses me a bit though - whats a 6 footer aimed at and whats a 6'6 aimed at. As I said, I will be primarily bass and pike fishing

6'6" rod is aimed for both in my opinion it's a good middle of the road length Medium to med heavy is the way you should go for both species you are targeting. It all depends on the type of rod you get. My Okama is a medium and My Shimano Is a medium heavy but the are the same stiffness and feel quite similar. It's all bout the feel and how serious you are going to get. I disagree with going cheap for everything Rod yes reel no. Especially when you say you are going to get more rods in the future. Get a quality reel and save some cash on the rod. Just make sure you are happy with the feel and action you get.