A Question about Wasps

Hey All,

I hope there are some exterminators on the board....anyway, a month or so ago I found a small wasps nest in the air intake pipe of my furnace. I douced it with wasp/bee killer from raid and thought I got them all. Recently I've found a wasp on 2 separate occasions in my ensuite bathroom.....

Is it possible for the wasps to have built a nest further inside the intake pipe or further into my furnace? and could it be possible that they can work through my furnace and out of the vents?

Any info would be helpful

Dave

I doubt that they are coming through the furnace, most of the newer ones are a closed system, suck in air from outside and expel the exhaust out the other pipe with no access to the exchanger. How about a bathroom exhaust fan where the flapper is not closing 100%. I had that happen 2 years ago, placed some mosquito screen in the pipe, no more wasps.

They are pretty pursistant buggers at times....At my old house I had a nest in behind the flashing of my sideing in my Covered Porch.

I sprayed the crap out of it with the foaming stuff, and even put the nozzel piece into the siding and sprayed till the foam was comming out of the corner joints LOL!!!!

Anyway a few hours later I had angry wasps, including the Queen wasp(GIANT scary looking bugger)

Flying around in my basement work shop!!!!!

I was only alerted to the issue by the sound of crashing tools, and pipes...My cats were going Bizzerk chaseing them!!!!

Luckily I got the cats outta there and closed the door before my cats got stung to death.

I sprung into action with the best anti bee device EVER!!!

A SHOP VAC LOL!!!

I felt just like a ghost buster I swear...must have sucked up about 20 of the little buggers!

The next morning I found 3 more but that was the end of it.

So if you decide to Hammer them with the Foam just "bee"(pun totaly intended) aware of any potential indoor escape route!

If you are spraying a nest, the best time to do it is at night or very early in the morning. This ensures that all of the occupants are inside the nest and they all get a dose of the good stuff, otherwise if even one survives with the queen, they will start over.

Hope this helps.

Dave what kind of wasp? Yellow jackets? They will enter and need outside access and they will build a nest which may cause a restriction and may cause the furnace to auto shut down so make sure the nest is removed. As far as them working through the heat exchanger that is doubtful so do look for other points of entry. And as a tip mint oil will kill them without the toxic effects of raid.

If you are spraying a nest, the best time to do it is at night or very early in the morning. This ensures that all of the occupants are inside the nest and they all get a dose of the good stuff, otherwise if even one survives with the queen, they will start over.

Hope this helps.

[/quote

Did that two weeks ago using Raid Wasp Killer. They were under my shed underneath the doorway. They kind of held me hostage as all my fishing and Boating gear was in the shed. The Raid worked Great.