Do you try to predict if it will be a good day fishing?

bassfighter

I just notice the survey results, started by CCMT , many has not been doing well especially on shallow waters due to recent unpredictable weather change pattern.

I also had 3 very good fishing days and 3 bad days. No mediocre fishing days this year so far. I spoke to few anglers at OFC , those that did well few weeks ago seemed to fish when the temp was close to 30's,and so happen to be on weekdays, not on weekends. The surface water temp at many Kawarthas is roughly hovering at 70's-75. It should have been close to 80's by now.

To help me be more positive on my fishing day off, I try to keep track of 2-3 previous days weather pattern, do some educated guess and hope for the best on my fishing day off. So far, I was able to semi guess the outcome of those good and bad days. I am less disapointed with the lack of fishing activities if I know what to expect. It has been accurate right from the start.

A Cold Front is probably the main reason we all do not do well. The weather should be warm and humid at this time of the year . Bass especially large mouth, likes Humid consistant warm weather, rain on a Humid day is very good for fishing, right before a pontential storm that about to come in. Small mouth bass seemed to be hovering on shallower water as well.

Rain on a cold front during summer months might make fishing tough especially on shallower waters. If we all notice, it is so comfortable, cool, no humidity to fish these days. If the temp is comfortable for us, it is probably bad for our cold Blooded creature friend.

Try to remember those good old summer amazing fishing days, were they not humid during the summer months? Where are the bugs or black flies that constantly bothering us? No bugs, equals no food for fish on shallower areas.

I remembered last year on one rainy cold front day, fish got so active only for 15 minutes when the rain sporadically stopped the entire day, we even had a double header on those very short time frame, when it rained again, fish will not bite. It was raining the whole day, we only caught fish everytime the rain stopped for a limited time. By the afternoon, we have decided to stop moving around, stayed in one fishing spot, knowing fish will come out of their hiding place when time is right. It worked for us, a new found experience.

Unless the weather stayed the same and move to consistant fall weather pattern, we will have to just accept the weekend weather given to us by mother nature and hope for the best, or start fishing deep water where barometric pressure is more consistant. I was reading an article that fish residing on constant water flow is less affected by Barometric weather change.

Just some incite!

Edited by bassfighter

I just want the fish to ignore all the other guys and bite down on my lures. I don't wanna have to be smart about this fishing stuff, and I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg on gear. I just want the damned fish to come out to play with whatever lure I'm throwing whenever I'm throwing it.

JF

Since I'm a new boat fisherman, I haven't figured out patterns yet with the weather and how fish relate to structure etc.....

From shore however, water clarity, wind direction, barometric pressure, water and air temps all are factors. I do pretty well when all those things line up.

Weather is a factor when fishing-if we were to fish only the nicest days that we are off work, well you wouldn't fish very much, it is easy to quit -put it on the trailer and go for a late breakfast, but this will not make you a better angler, on days the fish are actively biting , just about anone can get them, the key is to tough it out and figuire out the patern, it may simply be to down-size or slow down! fact is , you get a real feeling of accomplishment when you do figuire it out!

Weather is a factor when fishing-if we were to fish only the nicest days that we are off work, well you wouldn't fish very much, it is easy to quit -put it on the trailer and go for a late breakfast, but this will not make you a better angler, on days the fish are actively biting , just about anone can get them, the key is to tough it out and figuire out the patern, it may simply be to down-size or slow down! fact is , you get a real feeling of accomplishment when you do figuire it out!

totally agree - unless your out for just "having a good time" you definetly have to adapt & work - from this you'll learn more, gain more confidence & in turn, eventually produce good consistent results

Regardless of the weather there are always some active fish. You just have to find them and what bait they will respond to.

Divide the water into three areas.

1. Shallows cover and structure...weeds, docks and rocks

2. Mid-depth cover and structure...weed flats, points

3. Deep structure...Shoals, humps and rock-piles.

Use the smaller sizes of these six baits to fish these areas.

1. Jig and pig

2. Texas rigged tube or worm.

3. Jig head and worm or grub

4. Spinner Bait

5. Short Fat Crank bait

6. Small Husky Jerk

The first three are baits that you fish Vertically, the last three are for Horizontal presentations.

Spend an hour in each of the three areas and fish your six baits...A pattern will emerge.

You will now know what type of bait to use and what cover, depths and structure to fish.

The fish don't stop eating because there's a cold front, they move. Learn where to look during cold front situations, and what to use. It's different everyday.

If fish always sat in the same spots day after day.. well, there'd probably be none left.