Flyrod weight for BIG trout?

singingdog

I will be kayaking/fishing the Magpie (the Quebec one, not the Ontario river) river for 5 days. I have heard that it has world-class brook trout fishing. The only 3 piece rod I have is and 8 wt. Is that too much rod for 4lb+ trout? My next best option is an 8' 5/6 weight. I appreciate the feedback.

It all boils down to the size of the river.

On rivers I've fished like the Albany, Winisk and Fawn in Ontario I'm most comfortable with a 9' 7wt.

I like the extra oomph for driving out heavy sink tip lines and big brushy streamers.

On smaller but paddleable rivers like the Misehkow and Little Current (both Albany trib's) a 9' 6wt is what I use.

It really depends on the size of river and current flow. For example I'll be fishing the upper Kenai in Alaska for resident bows in September and my rod of choice will be a 10' 7wt. The longer stick is a big asset for line control and mending in bigger waters...even when the trout aren't super huge.

Potential for 4lb brookies eh? Sounds like it must be a pretty good river.

I'll guess that it flows into the north shore of the St. Lawrence. If so the scenery alone would be worth the trip.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. I may take the 8 wt. I don't plan on nymphing with it, but tossing decent sized muddlers and other streamers. Yep, the Magpie has some decent water and amazing scenery: it has been rated as one of the top 10 multi-day whitewater trips in North America. A few big trout will be icing on the cake.

If you have both the 6and the 8, I'd take both. If you are limited to one rod of the two, I'd take the 8. Other posters are right....the water you are fishing, the size of your flies, and the presence of wind, shoud dictate it. I've fished the NWT and northern Quebec 4 times, and I always used 8 and 9 wgt rods, and that was for 2 reasons.....fast water and the potential for other species ( ie pike and lakers....both of which could outfight your 6 wgt). Also, if you are a bit under-rodded, but still a skillful angler, you may successfiully land the fish, but may fatigue it to the point it may not ultimately recover.

I caught 3-4 pound brookies last year in Quebec on an 8 wgt and did not at all feel that I was over-rodded.

Another item to mention is that I never take a trip with only one rod. In last two years I have lost the tip section of a rod, and broke a rod on a fish.

Whatever you do, report back....I'm sure you'll have a blast.

I will be kayaking/fishing the Magpie (the Quebec one, not the Ontario river) river for 5 days. I have heard that it has world-class brook trout fishing. The only 3 piece rod I have is and 8 wt. Is that too much rod for 4lb+ trout? My next best option is an 8' 5/6 weight. I appreciate the feedback.

Holy butt pucker, Batman!!

I'd be more concerned about the size of diapers I'd be needing.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/magpie/index.htm

Have fun and play safe.

JF

Thanks for the input. I may take the 8 wt. I don't plan on nymphing with it, but tossing decent sized muddlers and other streamers. Yep, the Magpie has some decent water and amazing scenery: it has been rated as one of the top 10 multi-day whitewater trips in North America. A few big trout will be icing on the cake.

Hi I will be going in two weeks in europe , 20 lb trout 10' rods, place border of bosnia and croatia world cup in fly fishing,I hope i bring some gold,