Why I Fish?

JohnF

I was thinking about this earlier today as I stood up to my knees in the Thames. My camera was working so I took a few shots. No secrets given away here. Anyone who can identify these spots already knows 'em anyway and from the cobwebs that had been woven across my entrance point no one has bothered with that spot since I caught the big one yesterday.

This is a shot downriver. The PB Smallmouth hit a worm just in front of the green stuff that sticks out on the right about as far down in the light green as you can see here. I was standing mid-river well below the rock you can see, casting over some deeper water towards the weeds. The bottom here is pretty flat with the rocks spread out so fairly easy wading and gets to chest deep down where the big curve starts to the right. You can hear cars going by on the gravel road but the shore growth blocks a view of the road from the water.

009.jpg

This is a shot upriver from where the Avon meets the Thames. There's a pool up there about 100 yds but I think someone forgot to tell the fish. It's a miserable wade with the bottom covered with baseball and softball size stones that roll under your feet, compounded by an excess of silt so when you're coming back downriver it's hard to see the bottom.

010.jpg

Finally, here's a random shot I took in the same area.

011.jpg

Today I saw two sizeable family groups of wild turkeys out foraging, a large painted turtle, one very large sucker that swam right by my feet, and not one other fisherman to disrupt the solitude. There were fish jumping near me but they didn't seem interested in feeding. A few played with my worm but wouldn't take the hook in their mouths. I got this little guy and brought him to my feet. I wondered if I could snap a pic of him while still in the water. Here's the result. As soon as I snapped the pic and took the rod in hand again to unhook him, he spit the hook and swam away. Fine with me.

012.jpg

So despite catching no fish it's a great way to spend a sunny holiday morning. The scenery is great and there's no one nagging me to get any chores done. :thumbsup_anim:

JF

Edited by JohnF

Man, that place is just begging for some topwater action!!!!

Isn't it though? To be honest it doesn't happen there, at least not for me. I've stood out there till after dark on perfect night tossing poppers and jitterbugs, spinners and spoons. I've twitched and popped my heart out to no avail. Rob, my buddy, has passable luck with a slowly twitched rapala minnow most evenings, but I have the best luck with plastic worms. However I have had great topwater hits with worms. The fish seem to be able to eye them up coming in and hit 'em as they hit the water. That's pretty cool. I was thinking this morning that I should have had some topwater stuff with me. There was a nice big sounding fish jumping, I assume for bugs. I couldn't see him but he sounded husky.

There's a better spot for evening topwater nearby. It's deeper and seems to hold some decent bass. I'm not sure why we don't go there more often. I guess it's because Rob doesn't like the aesthetics of the place. It's a royal pita to fish with an artist sometimes. I want to get out there Lew-early some morning by myself and try some topwater.

JF

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Thoreau

Man, can i relate to that quote.

The peace and serenity "OF MY OWN MIND" is never quieter than when I am up a river somewhere.

I mentioned to my fishing buddy recently that i didn't think there was any such thing as ADDHD in nature and that I found relief from its symptoms while fishing.

He laughed and said: " it's eat or be eaten in nature. There no such thing as time to rehearse your next move or regret your last one" LOL

When I am watching the float on the river, or the line while bottom bouncing, I am "present" for all of natures glory.

Thank God my friend introduced me to fishing last year. He says it is the ONLY place he gets relief from his mind and the ill will that comes to it when he thinks of how his son was murdered a few years ago.

Great post John.

Thanks

Splashopper

Edited by splashhopper

Ahhh the anticipation of the catch is just as strong as the spirits that flow down the river.

John is that a Shimano rod?

Oops. Wrong rod. That's the Quantum rod I got last summer. 5 1/2 light. I really like it. Have a small Quantum Energy spinning reel with 14# Fireline Crystal. I'm still undecided about the Fireline.

JF

Edited by JohnF

Nope! It's all about the fish!!! :Gonefishing:

Remember how you nearly soiled yourself when you caught the PB Smallies the other day John?... that's what fishing is about!!! :thumbsup_anim:

If it wasn't, you'd just go down to the river without your tackle and lay on the bank or flip rocks over while wading to watch the Crawdads scurry about. ;)

The other stuff is beautiful too, and it really doesn't matter if we catch fish... but that excitement is why we take the tackle!

Oops. Wrong rod. That's the Quantum rod I got last summer. 5 1/2 light. I really like it. Have a small Quantum Energy spinning reel with 14# Fireline Crystal. I'm still undecided about the Fireline.

JF

Sorry. Went back and looked again. There are two rods in the pics. The first is an Ugly Stik Lite 5 1/2 that I've had lying around for a while. You can tell by the lite coloured tip. I'm trying everything I have at home with the new Shimano reel but it's looking like I'm gonna have to spring for another new rod. Darn.

JF

Nope! It's all about the fish!!! :Gonefishing:

Remember how you nearly soiled yourself when you caught the PB Smallies the other day John?... that's what fishing is about!!! :thumbsup_anim:

If it wasn't, you'd just go down to the river without your tackle and lay on the bank or flip rocks over while wading to watch the Crawdads scurry about. ;)

The other stuff is beautiful too, and it really doesn't matter if we catch fish... but that excitement is why we take the tackle!

There's definitely something to the rush of catching a big fish too. I've thought about just putting on my waders some evenings and going wading. But then I figure folks who see me might think I'm a tad tetched in the haid and call out the white jacket squad. Grown men aren't supposed to be playing in creeks, less'n of course they have an expensive piece of fishing equipment t' hand.

JF

Ahhh, the first pic reminds me of my old rod black with gold trim. Had a Shimano 5 ft one piece ultralight which was a killer rod, never did find a replacement.

That's the UglyStik. May well be the only time it'll be out this season. It just doesn't compare to my Quantum. I don't read much about Quantum rods here in the group and that makes me wonder how much better some of the big name units must really be. I'm gonna buy something to mate up with my new Shimano spinning reel. Still deciding on length and brand.

JF