Bass Boat Mold Problem

mbac31

I'm having a problem sometimes getting mold in small areas of my boat. The carpet is hard to get at and sometimes has mold there which seems to be very hard to get rid of. What type of cleaner would be good to buy other than spray nine.

Some folks like a solution of vinegar, water, and salt...

I've had this problem before and have found that if you'll let your boat dry completely in the sun before covering it and use a waterproof cover it will help to minimize mold and mildew. I also like to open all of my storage compartments for ventilation before covering my boat.

Hope this helps!

Just been attacking that problem in a tent trailer of a friend. He used a special spray, did'nt really work too good.

A home made method I came across is; Make a paste of Soda water and Baking Soda. Cover the stain for a couple hours, rinse off. Might be worth a try.......cheap anyway !!!

I have the BEST cleaner and biodegradeable! Ammonia. It's bleach so wear work clothes and gloves. It evaporates so you only need a spray rinse. Don't smell the fumes, do it outside.

Pour the ammonia on a rag until damp. Wipe, rinse, it's that simple. Try a test spot if you are worried. The clear finish on the boat will protect the colour. It worked like a charm this spring and fertilizes the grass when you rinse. :)

Pam

I have the BEST cleaner and biodegradeable! Ammonia. It's bleach so wear work clothes and gloves. It evaporates so you only need a spray rinse. Don't smell the fumes, do it outside.

Pour the ammonia on a rag until damp. Wipe, rinse, it's that simple. Try a test spot if you are worried. The clear finish on the boat will protect the colour. It worked like a charm this spring and fertilizes the grass when you rinse. :)

Pam

Bleach????.....won't this stuff ruin the colour of the carpet??

Have done the research previously: Bleach or ammonia are not a proper mould remediation solutions.

If you mix both bleach and ammonia together you might kill yourself (toxic fumes).

As an alternate concentrated tea tree (really tiny bottle) with citric and vinegar and water has been successful but the solution is a bit stinky.

forrest

Go to a grocery store and get some TILEX for mold and mildew. I works great but I don't know if it will harm the carpet. Here's the stuff.

http://www.tilex.com/questions.html

Seems likely the carpet is an acrylic or some other manmade thingy so it'll probably resist the bleach effect for longer than most mould. I would spray a concentrated chlorine/water mix on the offending spot, wait a minute or two, brush like hell, then rinse thoroughly. I know from my pool maintenance how fast most moulds react to strong chlorine bleach but there are forms of black and red moulds that we get sometimes that respond to nothing short of dynamite. I've gone down with my scuba tanks, a squirt bottle of really high concentration bleach and a stiff brush and can't remove some of it without abrading the pool liner.

JF

Seems likely the carpet is an acrylic or some other manmade thingy so it'll probably resist the bleach effect for longer than most mould. I would spray a concentrated chlorine/water mix on the offending spot, wait a minute or two, brush like hell, then rinse thoroughly. I know from my pool maintenance how fast most moulds react to strong chlorine bleach but there are forms of black and red moulds that we get sometimes that respond to nothing short of dynamite. I've gone down with my scuba tanks, a squirt bottle of really high concentration bleach and a stiff brush and can't remove some of it without abrading the pool liner.

JF

I have use the chlorine/water mix but this TILEX is much better. I don't know what else in it but I am sure chlorine is the main ingredient. I had some mold on my ceiling tiles in the basement and this TILEX was the only thing to kill the mold. Now it's the only thing I use it in the bathtub/shower area. Great stuff.

Bleach is what I use to clean my livewell and all my coolers. Even after a limit of walleye or salmon in the cooler the bleach cleans it up in minutes and you can stick your head in there and it smells just like a new cooler. No soap is needed :)

Well from what I remember, Madonna recommends peeing on the suspect area to control fungus - just don't let the neighbors catch you cleaning your boat!

Otherwise oxygen is the secret ingredient. 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide will do the job.