Live Crawfish for Carp

Rich

I've seen it in many instances but has anyone else tried it?

Every time I hit up my local carp spot with carp as the target lately, I'm collecting a bucket of crawfish before I start fishing. It's been outproducing corn regularly. Maybe for those guys who think their carp have grown accustomed to the corn and doughballs etc. it's time to upgrade to the real deal!

Never tried live crayfish, but I have landed carp while fishing a brown tube jig down a rocky shoreline for smallmouth in a small, muddy reservoir near Toronto, and I have hooked but not landed them on a crayfish pattern while fly-fishing the Toronto Islands.

Live crayfish have always been one of our favorite baits here in the Thames...for smallies and carp. I've watched carp in the shallows bumping their noses into rocks and then chasing down any crayfish that come scooting out.

they eat anything :dunno::lol:

haven't heard anyone who uses it regularly as bait though ... interesting to find that it works better than corn out your way, maybe because there are alow of crawfish swimming around your area and they got accustomed to them?

The problem with crayfish is that other non-favourable (to me) species may get to it before carp. Same thing applies to worm. People have also caught carp with live and dead minnows.

I've also caught smallies, rock bass, brown trout, rainbow trout, sunfish, creek chub ... etc when bottom fishing with sweet corn.

Like Victor says, they eat anything. The hard part is to find them and get them to feed on what you offer to them.

I dont fish for carp much, but I have targeted them with crawfish a few times and have found they work better if you freshly kill them and crack them up a bit. But this could just be, because the live ones hide.