help with drop-shotting please!

Guest buick14

Guest buick14

hi there

I was wondering if anybody could tell me

a) good hook size for bait i.e 4 inch senko what kinda hook?(if a senko would even be good for it)

b)do I hook the bait in the nose of the plastic or texpose-like>

c)whats a good drop-shot bait, and how do I work it?

d)can i cast dropshot or.........

I am seeing a lot of nose hooking on the internet and they seem to be using a tiny hook for a 4 plus inch looking bait hooked through the nose...

any and all help appreciated!

-mark

You can drop shot a senko for sure. 4" is a great size. I use 2/0 octopus and nose hook it. If you are throwing into weeds texas rig a lighter wire worm hook. If you are drop shotting smaller baits go with a size 1 or 2 or even 4 octopus hook.

Gulp minnow is a great drop shot bait. you can almost drop shot any soft bait. I drop shot gulp leeches with great success. Mark Kulik's baits are supposed to be deadly but I haven't go one yet.

I do cast my drop shot baits. I even cast from shore but remember your angles. Because you are at a much smaller angle when you cast(not directly over your bait as in a boat) leave more distance betewen your weight and hook. I drop shot 1/8 ounce from a boat and 1/4 from shore (longer cast if needed).

I cast, let it sink, reel in the slack line twitch with slight twitches, pause for a few seconds, twitch again and pause, reel in about a foot of line and twitch again. do this all the way in. I seem to get most hits just after I twitch and it is paused for a split second. set hook well and make sure your drag is not too tight. I have lost too many fish because of this. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VERY SHARP HOOKS!

Check your line often especially around your hook.

I have a few other baits that work great for drop shotting and I often run 2 hooks at the same time especially when I use Gulp fish fry. Running 2 hooks makes it look like a school of fish. I highly recommend gulp fry.

hope that helps a bit

Edited by Cudz

That's all good advice.

I'd like to add four points.

One - You can Wacky worm the 4 inch Senko if there aren't too many weeds...this is my best set-up.

Two - Most people leave too much line between the hook and sinker when fishing from the boat. 12 - 18 inches is plenty. From shore you need a longer space as mentioned above, because of the angle.

Three - This is a dead stick technique...Don't put a lot of action into the bait!

Most people pop and jig the worm to death. Think of this as a weightless wacky worm, but using the express lane to get the bait down to the bottom. I get lots of hits when the bait is just laying on the bottom.

Four - I generally start with a 1/0 hook, but often switch to a 3/0 if the bite is coming on a dead stick. Maybe if they pick it off the bottom they are balling the worm up in their mouth, because the bigger hook seems to get better hook-ups.

Garry2R's

thanks roger , i got his pm they have been working well for a lot of anglers including myself, i recently caught my pb 24.88 lbs and won 1st in the csfl simcoe event, all fish were caught drop-shoting, this rig can be casted , give the bait slight twiches on a slack line -don't jig the weihgt-it also works well in deep vertical presentations or structure like weed clumps or pilings, don't use too much weight -only as much as is required for bottom contact, as for hooks octopus in size 2 or owner downshot hooks in 2/0 -i like to start with 18-24 inch lead from hook to weight i prefer nose hooking but when i fish weeds or cover i will texas rig them- i have done very well fishing largemouth with this technique-walleyes also love it, hope this helps mark you can contact me through pm if you would like more info, also if you get WFN catch show 5 of Extreme Angler TV i pretty much got through everything, catch a couple of nice simcoe smallies also. mark www.strikezonetournamentbaits.com

Edited by Mark Kulik

thanks roger , i got his pm they have been working well for a lot of anglers including myself, i recently caught my pb 24.88 lbs and won 1st in the csfl simcoe event, all fish were caught drop-shoting, this rig can be casted , give the bait slight twiches on a slack line -don't jig the weihgt-it also works well in deep vertical presentations or structure like weed clumps or pilings, don't use too much weight -only as much as is required for bottom contact, as for hooks octopus in size 2 or owner downshot hooks in 2/0 -i like to start with 18-24 inch lead from hook to weight i prefer nose hooking but when i fish weeds or cover i will texas rig them- i have done very well fishing largemouth with this technique-walleyes also love it, hope this helps mark you can contact me through pm if you would like more info, also if you get WFN catch show 5 of Extreme Angler TV i pretty much got through everything, catch a couple of nice simcoe smallies also. mark www.strikezonetournamentbaits.com

Hey Mark,

Quick question

I have been hesitant to drop shot for walleye because of their teeth. What is the trick, do you just hope they don't cut the line???

Cudz, due to the way walleye's teeth are laid out in their jaws, they are pretty much incapable of cutting your line. The only sharp spot is the very tip of their tooth and the chances of that hitting your line are about the same as you winning the lottery.

Rich beat me to it-they are sharp but not knife-like like a pike or musky, I land a suprisingly good number of pike drop-shotting too, I think they dont get a chance to really swallow it due to the fact that the hook is on the line itself, when you set , the hook pretty much targets the lip, I prefer the clip-on type of cylindrical weights to the round type, I find that they get hung up less,also with the clip you can repositin the length of lead without re-tying. hope this helps.

Now heres a thread with lots of GREAT INFO. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Hey Mark good seeing you today. Man didnt reconize you without a rod in yer hand.LOL

As for the wieght question,I was introduced to this type

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageGILLYTERM-GFDSW.html

Have not tried any other, but there are others out there.

I like the idea of just snapping the line in,but a tip for you,tie a knot in the line so it dont slip off easy in a snag.

Thats the type BRIAN-AND yes tying a knot at the very end will save you some weights-forgot to mention that, good seeing again also we should get out for a beer one of these days -couldn't talk very long had the wife and kids in the car, always happy to help with any info -got a lot of time now so at least I can talk fishing, we'll get you out for the fall when the arm is healed up-talk soon Mark

Im not sure I can tell you,typing that this.

But here you go.Hope it helps.

There are newer hook set ups.I,ll try to find that for you.

http://bassfishingdem.blogspot.com/2008/02...lomar-knot.html

I am partial to this hook. Very sharp and dont let the thiness fool you.Very strong hook.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/dropshot-hooks/840120.aspx

Then theres this one that makes the tying thing simpler.I have yet to try this one. Im one of those that get stuck on one thing and if it works,I stay with it.LOL

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/dropshot-hooks/861117.aspx

Edited by misfish

You use a palomar knot to tie the hook and then feed the tag end through the eye again to help it stand out.

Thanks Hotrod. If the hook dose not stand up with the hook facing up,then pull the line back out and put it through the other way. I make this mistake alot.LOL

Another thing you will find is the line will twist.

A couple of tips to get rid of it.

One,let the line out behind the boat with nothing attached. Let about a hundered feet out and allow the line to unravel it,s self.

Two,Grab the line with yer hand with as many fingers and as tight as you can and reel it in.

I myself have found that going with a baitcaster,has helpped with the line twist.IMO

Edited by misfish

Another thing you will find is the line will twist.

A couple of tips to get rid of it.

One,let the line out behind the boat with nothing attached. Let about a hundered feet out and allow the line to unravel it,s self.

Two,Grab the line with yer hand with as many fingers and as tight as you can and reel it in.

I myself have found that going with a baitcaster,has helpped with the line twist.IMO

true with the line twists. I sometimes put a tiny swivel about 10" above my hook