So it stopped raining around noon...

Garry2Rs

This morning it was raining AGAIN.

Around lunchtime it cleared up, the sun came out and the neighbor came over to see if I was interested in trying a little fishing.

It took until 2:30 for him and I to finish up whatever we were doing, but the sky was still clear as we started toward a lake about 16km away.

The closer we got to the water, the darker to sky became...

We had a plan to hit a couple of spots for some eater size Pike and we wanted to toss a worm around for some Bass just for fun...

As we scooted down the lake we saw lightning in the distance, and about forty minutes later we saw the first drops...

No sweat, we break-out the rain gear and carry on. The thunder moved closer, so we took shelter as the rain became a downpour.

We could see the odd flash, and of coarse hear the thunder, but it was all off to the north of us and we felt quite safe.

But, we didn't want to be on open water, where we were the tallest things around!

We stopped near a rock face were a hill of dense forest rose above and behind us. we were partly out of the rain and there were lots of tall things behind us...

After fifteen minutes or so, the storm faded away to the east, and there were high fives all around.

We had out smarted Mother Nature...HAHAHA.

In another 40 minutes a new thunder shower moved in from the west...We again sought shelter and as the heavy rain and the lightning etc moved off to the northeast we resumed fishing in a light. but not unpleasant rain.

The rain was much lighter now, and the thunder was moving farther away. All was well...Until a sudden flash in the west told us it was time to get under cover again.

This time we were on a bay with well developed properties...the shoreline was wide lawns that slopped gently down to the waters edge. It was wide open and barren, the only spot to hide beside something tall offered no overhead screen of branches etc. to help deflect the rain...and rain it did. This was an old fashion down pour of near Biblical proportions! As the rain increased, the opposite shore grew fainter until it vanished...the trees shook...It was like a trip to Niagara Falls. I kept looking for "The Maid of the Mist." At one point I had to switch on the bilge pump to get the water out of the cockpit. We had little choice now but to toughed it out. It rained hard for what seemed like an hour, but was really only about twenty minutes. There was an eerie sort of twilight with rain falling so hard it was like being in a fog...

Finally the rain started to slow down. As we watched, the sun came out behind us. It was still raining on us, but we could see a patch of blue sky moving closer and closer until suddenly the rain had gone and it was a beautiful day again.

We fished for a couple more hours and caught a few Bass and the WGSF, but no Pike...Natalie had one nice Pike follow a spoon, but that was it on a lake that gave me half a dozen, that I didn't want, two weeks ago!!!

Here's a shot of Natalie and I with a double header...

Doubleheader.jpg

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs

Well Clamp-it, someone thought that it came up so fast, that it would blow right over, and didn't want to be bothered with the bib overall type pants...DHAW!

Yes TJ she is. Sort of reminds me of a little boy I met from Sturgeon Falls a few years ago...grin.

Very nice Garry.

I like the shades on the hat. Looking like a real pro there Nat. :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::clapping:

Would that be a Zeb 303 on that rod?

Zeb makes one of the best closed face reels. Well I am partial to the Johnson,they do cast far.LOL

Edited by misfish