Swimbaiters

mbac31

I'm just wondering if anyone here is throwing swimbaits this season. I'm talking 6" and above. If you are how are ya doing with them. I'm not seeing to much info here in Canada on them and wondered if I'm in a very small crowd. :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

What are your setups for throwing them and where are ya throwing them.

Guest Johnny Bass

I don't but I know they are very, very effective. Heard a lot of good things about them. Cast them out and hold on! Match the hatch.

Guest Johnny Bass
Yeah. I have a pretty big collection of them now. I have been fishin them for a few years now. Just wondering what everyone else is throwing. I find that the Matt lures are working for me now.

I'm not familiar with Matt but Storm swimbaits are great lures.

I have been throwing the Basstrix as well. I'm doing good with them. I fiound out that they need to be very well balanced and you ned to fish them very slow as well. Bassmagnet lures makes a better one, local as well. They sim on the down fall where as a basstrix will not.

We've got a couple types of the Storm ones. I haven't caught anything but weeds on them, unless you want to count the occasional zebra mussels stuck to snagged weeds. Don't think Jeff's had any better luck.

I have been throwing the Basstrix as well. I'm doing good with them. I fiound out that they need to be very well balanced and you ned to fish them very slow as well. Bassmagnet lures makes a better one, local as well. They sim on the down fall where as a basstrix will not.

Do the Basstrix float when rigged?

ive been using the 4" storm and calcutta swimbaits for eyes and smallies for about three years now

they work great for smallies

don't catch as many eyes as with live bait but the ones i do catch are usually quite a bit larger fish

gonna try them again this weekend

work til noon and should be on the water by 3 or 4

Im doing good with the 4-5 " perch and shad colored for walleye. You need to fish these very slow though. I'm using 5 and 3 speed reels for them. The Basstrix will not float when rigged as most will not. The new Berkley ones are very difficult to make run straight. I have been using these hooks and doing very well in open water for smallies and Walleye

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageBRSBI-BRHSBI.html

These seem to work very well. Makes the bait run perfectly every time. The Mattlures run perfectly every time no matter what. You need to invest in a bottle of mend-it glue for these however. Works great and does not harden. You need to spend time with these however and th trick is to fish them slow. Bassmagnets are local anr run better than the Basstrix and when rigged weedless you can throw them anywhere.

Here are the 6" Basstrix

TackleandGearforEbaylist117.jpg

Edited by smalliefisher

I threw the berkley ones and only noticed one respectable smallmouth look at it briefly, but no hook ups. I did however hook a big Pike on it crawling it off a ledge, the pike smoked it twice before inhaling it and biting me off. I must say they are some sexy looking baits when reeled back slow. I agree though that the berkley baits I used were hard to run straight and aren't very durable.

I managed a decent musky this morning on a storm curly tailed swim shad; it came as part of a spinnerbait but I removed the wire and blades and just hooked it straight up to my leader. Sinks like a stone but you can cast it a mile (2ish ounces) and that single hook makes for a really easy release.

I have been throwing the Jackall Giron's lately with some good success. Sebile baits are working good on clear lakes as well. I agree these lures take time to get use to but usually pay off in the long run. Skeeter99, I would give the Bassmagnet ones a try as they dont tear apart so easily like the Basstrix, they are a little tougher and swim on the downward fall as the Basstrix tend not to. Very hard to run the Matt Lures now with all them weeds on Rice and Scugog. I have those Storm baits but have not given them a try as of yet. How do they run in the water.

Greetings:

AM new to the site and finally registered and it's an honor to join the group! I've had tremendous success w/ 4 inch swimbaits the last 2 yrs on Georgian Bay. They are great to cast and rip through weeds or snap jig. I've caught pike from 12-20 lbs (well, actually my 12 yr old caught the big one) and I've taken a few nice walleyes as well jigging them off of dropoffs. I really like casting them along weedlines as they seem to come through weeds without alot of foul ups.

Particularly good colors have been perch and firetiger. I was skeptical at first but now I'm sold on them and never head North without a bunch of them. I'll post some pics of our swimbait fish as soon as I figure out how to do so(wife is sleeping............)

I have been throwing the Jackall Giron's lately with some good success. Sebile baits are working good on clear lakes as well. I agree these lures take time to get use to but usually pay off in the long run. Skeeter99, I would give the Bassmagnet ones a try as they dont tear apart so easily like the Basstrix, they are a little tougher and swim on the downward fall as the Basstrix tend not to. Very hard to run the Matt Lures now with all them weeds on Rice and Scugog. I have those Storm baits but have not given them a try as of yet. How do they run in the water.

I have been waiting for my sebile since June 4th.

I use bassmagnet swimbaits and I find they do tear as well. I like their action but haven't managed to catch anything on them. I support them becasuse they are a canadian brand.