Erie Smallies

blaque

Just one of the slobs weve been getting out on the U.S. side of Erie. Drop shot goby imitations.... as many know.... are the norm out here and they just keep coming thru. Found alot of these guys schooled up in the mid 20's. , its a blast seeing how fast they can come from 25 foot of water and jump for the skies lol. Like i said, they were schooled up in pods........and you could go thru hot spots where it was one after the other, and then dead for another 100 yards , then hit another school and hit double headers.

These guys are getting so big out there they are starting to resemble carp LOL

Smallie.jpg

Drop shot goby imitations

Oh what a big fibber you are!!! Everyone knows Gobies are highly toxic to Smallies and they won't hardly touch them... and will be dead in seconds after ingesting one.

... so what were you really using??? :D

Great report and pic!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

They don't seem to be affected by the pressure change, let them go and they head right back for the bottom no worse for wear.

Been catching them on the Canadian side, once hooked they come out of 20+ feet of water like a Polaris Missile, great fun.

Dan

Oh what a big fibber you are!!! Everyone knows Gobies are highly toxic to Smallies and they won't hardly touch them... and will be dead in seconds after ingesting one.

... so what were you really using??? :D

Great report and pic!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Ha ha......your sarcasm is so subtle GCD! lol :D

We were actually using steamed zebra mussels hardy harr

Nice slab!! I've never caught smallies in deep water, do you have to watch for the bladders when bringing them up from 20-30 feet? If so what is the best way to revive them? Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

1leg

Yeah, ive never seen that come up as a concern in 20-30ft......maybe 50 plus. I dunno........if you do run into that being a problem........i think what most guys do is "fizz" the fish. Never had to do it myself though.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like world class phenomenal Smallie fishing to me. And that is with an all year open season!I don't think they keep as many smallies on the US side as they do on the Canadian side.

Sounds like world class phenomenal Smallie fishing to me. And that is with an all year open season!I don't think they keep as many smallies on the US side as they do on the Canadian side.

Yeah, most are focused on stringin up them Erie pickerel .....er, i mean walleyes :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah, ive never seen that come up as a concern in 20-30ft......maybe 50 plus. I dunno........if you do run into that being a problem........i think what most guys do is "fizz" the fish. Never had to do it myself though.

The difference may be that when they do the polaris trip they're doing it voluntarily and expel air from the bladder as they come up. When they're being horsed up they may be fighting and don't know enuf to blow out.

JF