Found my own little "urban pond"

markiemark70

Spent just over an hour tonight at a little storm pond 5 minutes from my house, and caught about 10 LM bass. Had a great time. Even though they are very small (8-12") it is alot of fun and nice to have a small pond near my house where I can go if I only have a bit of time to fish. I tried it first 2 weekends ago and caught a few, including one decent sized one.. Tonight I was either catching fish, or getting a bite everytime I through out my black jig with a yellow twister.

Just goes to show me that it's not all about the trophies. That is the best fishing I have had in a while, even though I know there are no lunkers in there. Also noticed lots of swirling near the surface, so pretty sure there is a reasonably healthy Carp population as well. Thinking of targetting those next time.

All in all a good night.

Gotta love those storm ponds. My sister has a big one in her backyard in Stoney Creek. Next time I'm there for a visit I'm going to take my nephew down to see if there's any fish in it yet. It's relatively new (2 yrs old) so it may be a bit early, but always worth a shot.

... even though I know there are no lunkers in there.

No but there's lurkers.......

Just like GCD said in prison, Gotta protect your holes

Your secret is out!

Guess someone stalked you:

spielpicture.jpg

Me and my friends have found a couple good ponds too. The one holds some good largies 4.5-5 pounders, nice muskie, decent smallies, decent eyes and some carp. Its nice to be able to fish somewhere with out boats driving by and people everywhere.

This may sound stupid but ussaly how do these fish get to these ponds? do people bring them there or ive heard of brids flying from pond to pond and sometimes fish eggs get stuck to them(dont no if that true or not).i got a few storm ponds near me maybe gotta check them out one day.

This may sound stupid but ussaly how do these fish get to these ponds? do people bring them there or ive heard of brids flying from pond to pond and sometimes fish eggs get stuck to them(dont no if that true or not).i got a few storm ponds near me maybe gotta check them out one day.

Actually thats not stupid at all (at least i hope not!!). There was a good discussion on that a couple of years ago on this board or the one that preceded it, cant remember which. I remember that there never really was a definitive answer. But the birds was one theory. I would not be surprised if the city put fish in there, because it is good for the ecosystem. There is about 5 little ponds near my house in Milton (they seem to put one in every little development they build around here) and I imagine that there would be many more mosquitos and other pests around were it not for the fish.

Also some people theorize that citizens put them in there for there own purposes, but I highly doubt that someone around here brought Carp & Bass to the little pond near my house. There are also Turtles and a Muskrat that live there.

Having an urban pond is a great way to get kids active for the summer and i myself have put a few small larg mouth bass at my uncle pond and it seems to keep the mosquito population down.

Other people have put cat fish and other fish in the pond.

3 years and no fish have been found dead so i guess they have made the pond home.