Travel Rods

EC1

Im actually just in the market right now for a rod that is either telescopic or multi-pieced. Im hoping that i can put it in something as small as a backpack.

Does anyone know the differences between a telescopic and a multi-piece? What are the pro's and con's of each? Does anyone also have a recommendation?

Also, Is there a special type of reel that i will be needing to make it a good combo? Im looking to put a spinnning reel onto this rod.

Thanks in Advance for any hints and tips~~ :Gonefishing:

I have built a couple multi piece rods for friends and they seem to perform well. The specific blank is a Rainshadow SB 720 and it is a 6' 4 piece spinning rod rated for 4 - 8 lb test. I would have to measure to be exact but I believe each section is around 20" long.

I can tell you that Batson (Rainshadow )also has a great warranty. My buddy broke the tip section of his while in Algonquin this spring and they replaced the top section of the blank no questions asked.

I don't know much about telescopic rods aside from the two I keep in the trailer for the kids to use when camping. They pack up real nice but are not of the quality that I would fish regularly with.

Harv

I don't know that I've ever seen a good telescopic...the multipieces would be my choice. I THINK I saw a nice kit by Okuma on AllAmericanOutdoors....and I know BPS is selling the latest Shimano travel kit which is supposed to be good. Just my $0.02

my dad has a diawa mini spin from probably 40 years ago. it stilll works great for him. he took it to california for golden trout hiking on the john muir trail/

i had a quantum travel set, the tip broke bbut the rest was awesome.

okuma is supposed to have a good one aswell..

i would also go multipiece. not telescopic

If you're willing to import one yourself, there are some top quality telescopic rods/blanks in the far east. I've only seen a few in person myself, there's just no ddemand for them in north america. If you want a cool little pack rod, check out the emmrod. I saw an RV tourist fishing with one for the first time 2 years ago. strange looking thing but it did okay on the salmon.