Backwoods Bassin'

Reef Runner

Backwoods Bassin

Parry Sound Area July 12-13, 2008

Teamed up with Addy 79 from the board and left the big smoke at 2:30 am on Friday. Destination: An island on a small, unattended backlake that is home to hundreds if otr thousands of largemouth bass...the ultimate bass adventure. For those who do take trips into the backwoods for these green trout, you know what I'm talking about. Got to the trailer around 5am and had a nap, anxiously awaiting tomorrow's trail.

BANG

Nothing says "get up" like an air bomb wizzing by your head in mid-sleep. :whistling: IT's TIME! Quick bite to eat, load up the canoe with all our gear and off down the lake to our gateway to bass heaven.

fish001.jpg

The trail is a 1.14 km battle of bug laden, shin splittin' thick forest. This is the kind of damage you have to accept when treking through this bush.

fish004.jpg

After doing it twice to mule all our gear, sweaty, swollen we come upon St. Peter's gate.

fish003.jpg

fish002.jpg

We launch and paddle toward our home for the weekend, a nice island in the middle if the lake.

fish006.jpg

Quickly we set up camp and gather enough wood to blaze through the night

fish005.jpg

Once we were set up it was time to go out and start bassin'. Now I've read hundreds of articles and seen an equal amount of shows on the techniques used to catch bass. None of that knowledge is requisit for catching these bass. This lake see's maybe five anglers a year. You just drop a senko and wait five seconds and it's fish on.

fish007.jpg

fish013.jpg

To illustrate this point, I lost a zippo lighter there two years ago--all gold and shinny -- and I found it looking for wood on the island this weekend :thumbsup_anim: I just wish the other human vistors to this spot weren't such pigs...leaving trash and bottles as they go to enjoy nature. :wallbash: Anyway back to the bassin'. Like I said it's child's play out there. We handily caught fish on almost every cast. A couple of bigguns got away but for the most part the average size is about 1 to 2 pound range. What these fish lack in size they make up in fight!

Perfect eaters though.

This is our dinner, fresh cut 'tatters and fillet o' fresh bass. Yum Yum

fish010.jpg

fish011.jpg

fish012.jpg

For anyone with the opportunity to, I would highly recommend doing a small portage and discover a backwoods lake. The serenity is as tranquil as it gets, the adventure a worthy challenge and the fishing can't be beat.

fish009.jpg

We caught anywhere between 75-100 bass this weekend. I luv backwoods bassin'. :Gonefishing:

Reefrunner

awesome reefrunner!

I've got a lake up near the french river like that. It's a 3 hour trek down a set of train tracks but well worth the walk. You catch

bass on everything man. A buddy of mine was catching them on a red-devil spoon! haha

Great report - brings back some fond memories from my high school days.

Cheers,

UF

Definately a must do for those pondering the option. Dig out those old maps and see what gems mother nature has tucked away!

"looks like a good time i'll have to give it a try this year with the wife"

-Aile Goby

Now that's a challenge! lol.

You guys are gorillas hauling in a 75lb canoe!!

I also have a small back lake that I go to that is Largemouth heaven. Lucky for me I know the land owner on the easy access side. I often wonder how/why these lakes are full of Largemouth and NOTHING else. All the times I have been in there that is all I catch yet surrounding lakes have a much larger variety.

Good job on the adventure and what a feast you had. :Gonefishing:

Guest Johnny Bass

Great Report! I remember those days of going through bug infested forests and walking through a foot or so of mud! Speaking of mud. I wonder if putting mud on your skin would keep the skeeters off? Anyways, good to see it paid off and you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if putting mud on your skin would keep the skeeters off?

Mud would make you invisible for when the military is using heat sensing equipment to find you...at least it worked for Arnold....or was that Stallone?? Cant remember now. Although...I don't recall him getting mosquito bites in the bush, so it must work.

Great idea on the mud! teh skeeters were relentless, absolute swarms.

worst part is your haulin about a 100lbs of gear and cant break for more than 2 minutes or they get ya! :wallbash:

i agree, it is strange that only largies inhabit these lakes. it would be nice to find one with similar smallmouth action.

our next mission is to a nearby lake (1km river but i have a feeling its full of beaver dams) that has lakers, smallies AND of course LARGIES

You guys are gorillas hauling in a 75lb canoe!!

ha ha ...

the canoe was already there for us...

mind you i have a 90lb canoe that i have used for other portages...to cheap to splurge on the :wallbash: $30/day rental

Yeah, lucky for us, the canoe was already there as we go to this lake often.

The 90lbs canoe on other portages...seeeessh. Not to mention a trolling motor and deep cycle battery. That'll put a serious hurt on anyone. :stretcher:

We were so dirty by the end of our hike the mud probably would have cleaned us off!!! :ph34r:

Oh, it was Arnold in The Predator...I hope I don't stumble across one of those, yikes.

Can't wait to mission to that next lake, we need more than a weekend though.

That is what summer's alllll about! Nicely done!!! My uncle has a few lakes he has been fishing up in the P.Sound/McKellar district for over 20 years, and has watched them go from all pike, to all largies, back to all pike again. Couple more weeks and we'll be heading up to sample the population....can't wait!

Great adventure, great pics, great post!!!!