My New (to me) Motor

nancur373

Hey guys. I just picked up a 1975 Johnson 9.9 today from a really nice guy. Brought it home and tested it and it runs like a top. It even has electric start. I didn't know you could get e-start then. Came with newer plastic gas can new hose and stant. Not too shabby for 200 bucks.

Now I need my own boat to put it on. But I can borrow a 12 footer anytime I want.

Edited by nancur373

:Gonefishing: Very good you did well.Expect to see you up here on good old lake Eugina sometime. You realize that the bass are all mine and you being a newbe are only allowed the perch.(just kidding) Best of luck on finally getting a boat to tie it to someday.I know what it is like It took me three years and a lot of saving to get my last boat. Steve

if it's been kept up, you should have no probs at all, I run a '76 -9.9 Evinrude on my 14 footer I have at camp, we got the motor used about 10 years ago, it's been on 3 different boats now...even got frozen in the lake once thanks to my late newfie step-dad :rolleyes::lol: , it runs like a champ still, I have had to put an impeller 2 years ago, and about 30 bucks into it since with sparkplugs and replacing the cover latch(fell off a couple weeks ago while out on the water)...so all of about 48 bucks into it in the last 2 years,can't complain, just cuz it's old don't mean it still isn't good ;) heck my 14 footer set up is a 2003 boat with a 1976 motor

The guy said he new nothing about motors so he had it regularly serviced at a shop. His mechanic wrote 120-120 May '07 on the fly wheel. I imagine thatr is the compression. Looks like new plugs, wires, and coil I think. They have coils right?

I think now it's a 1974. Model: 10R 74S Serial: C 44414. Fired it up today. Runs like a top. Drive is all good. Only thing tho is the water was spitting out intermittanly. I think it might be due to the fact I was told not to turn the garden hose on too high with the bunny ears. Gonna try in a drum tomorrow.

I agree that 120-120 is probably the compression, which would suggest its in like new condition inside. Replace the impeller. Water flow shouldn't be intermitent. However, its standard practice to change the impeller in a new to you motor. They are a consumeable part and are only meant to last 1-5 years even though many will tell you they've never change one and never had any problems. Its very easy to do yourself and the cost is about $25 for the part. That motor will push a standard 12' tin boat around 32 kmh or 20 mph.

Enjoy your new motor. It as a steal. Also, check the lower unit oil for water and refill with new oil. Make sure to use new washers on the drain/vent screws when you do it.

Edited by boatman