Weekend report

Jigger

Was at the cottage this past weekend looking for bronze. Saturday was pretty short as far as fishing time went. The pattern that emerged the previous weekend stayed the same...Lots of smaller fish but nothing over 16in for the hour I got in Saturday morning. In the evening I tried a few different locations. It occurred to me that the small fish were all in the locations that should hold bigger fish. Maybe the larger smallies were occupying areas that held smaller fish most of the time. Also, as I'm sure most of the waterways are, the water has been real high this year for alot longer than it has been in recent memory. So I checked areas that had become new cover. I ended up hooking and losing two big smallies just as the light failed under some low hanging trees .

Sunday started out pretty slow. After getting some supplies, I got on the water about 9:30. On the way to my "new" spot, I decided to take a look on a big flat that empties into the main lake. The flat had been improved by the high water and there were plenty of overhanging trees that were now nearly in the water. First cast with a 4in grub got me a little 13in fish. :wallbash: . Kept on down the bank and saw a shadow blast out of a nook but turned away at the last minute. Immediately threw in a Senko and again, the fish rushed out as soon as it hit the water but turned its nose up as soon as it got close. Threw jerkbaits, tubes, topwaters, nothing... Sunday was a blazer and flat calm at this point, but I pulled out the old double willow spinnerbait anyways and wouldn't you know it. First cast and its too much for her. In she comes but D-OH!!! forgot the camera! In the livewell she goes for the 2min ride back to the cottage...

First 20incher this year. Wish I had it turned a bit more for the pic, you can't really see how deep the fish is.

IMG_1326.jpg

Fished the other spot with camera in tow and found the place loaded with baitfish. Always a good sign. Right away with the spinnerbait.

18in taken with the camera on a tripod. Theres nothing wrong with my hand, I'm holding the tourney page. The tripod's a work in progress.

IMG_1330.jpg

Went out in the late afternoon for two hours and did very well catching another 6 fish. The good part is that only two of those measured under 19in! One of them a 19in Largemouth tying a pb! All fish coming out of shallow sandy areas with scattered rock and timber that bordered deeper water. Water was 72deg and climbing. Bad part of the story has my wife taking the camera in the afternoon and not even using the camera. Oh well, hope my memory doesn't fade too soon. Days like that are real nice, espcially considering the high heat and sun beaming down. Hope everyone else had a great weekend! Cheers!