what to do with stern trolling motor?

forrest

I have a 4stroke 40HP that trolls as slow as 3mph....Anyone think it is worthwhile keeping a hand controlled transom mount electric trolling motor if I have a bow mount foot controlled one?

forrest

Edited by forrest

It depends on what is more convenient to use. I like a bow mount foot control myself but others don't.

BTW that 4 stroker should be trolling down a LOT more than 3 mph. Are you sure you trolling gauge is accurate ? ? ? I have a 50 hp 2 stroker that will troll down to 1.8 mph

It depends on what is more convenient to use. I like a bow mount foot control myself but others don't.

BTW that 4 stroker should be trolling down a LOT more than 3 mph. Are you sure you trolling gauge is accurate ? ? ? I have a 50 hp 2 stroker that will troll down to 1.8 mph

3MPH was a poor number. I measured that with wind etc. However, there will be times when I am going with wind and need to get only a little more speed (1mph?)....in that case I would have to use the bow motor for trolling.

Sinker: Do you use it for the peace and quiet or? Whats wrong with the bow?

forrest

what to do?

Edited by forrest

IMHO the bow mount should do what you want it to do. That being said, I was told my those more knowledgeable than me that one uses a bow mount for positioning during a drift.

I, on the other hand, do troll with my bow mount. There is something about QUIETLY going through the water that is so relaxing...

I use the transom mount, because I can put it on any boat. Usually in the back lakes, there are "stashed" boats that you can use.......I just take the transom mount and a battery with me. These lakes I couldn't bring in my fishing boat with the bowmount.....too big.

Sinker