Red meat on whitefish???

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

I cleaned up the last whitefish and there is a lot of red meat! Is that still good to eat? Could it be because I kept it frozen for a month whole?

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks. I didn't think it was good to eat. Some parts had a bad smell too. The tail spine was full of blood, so I gave it to the cat. I guess maybe that is why you shouldn't freeze your fish before cleaning, but this is the first time I seen this!

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass
It's just fatty tissue that is usually just under the skin and along the lateral line. Some people like it, but I always cut it out as it has a nasty bitter taste to it.

Thanks. Looks like the cat is going to be eating good for a while.lol It was still alive, last time I checked. :thumbsup_anim:

John,if your going to freeze the fish whole,bleed it out first bud.

Another tip,when your going to freeze yer fish,try to put in bags with water. Cover the whole fish.

Im not one for freezing whole fish,I would sooner filet, then freeze them in water.

A trick that was shown to me,was to use them 2 liter milk containers.

It works.pretty cool.

Read here JB: DON'T EAT THE FISH! I'm sure you won't eat those whities anymore. Look at page 72 of 90. Then read the introduction to the guide. I was completely blown away after reading that guide. Same with the lake trout although not as bad.

Rob C

Edited by Rob C

Guest Johnny Bass
John,if your going to freeze the fish whole,bleed it out first bud.

Another tip,when your going to freeze yer fish,try to put in bags with water. Cover the whole fish.

Im not one for freezing whole fish,I would sooner filet, then freeze them in water.

A trick that was shown to me,was to use them 2 liter milk containers.

It works.pretty cool.

Thanks for the tip Brian. I'm usually dead tired when I come home from fishing so I usually just throw them in the freezer whole........May have to start cleaning them or at least bleeding them upsidedown or slitting their throats as I seen another OFC' er do.

Well Rob. I filleted as much white meat as I can(It kept falling apart). 80+% of the fish is going to the cats. 15% I ate and the other 5% I will eat or give to the cats.

The little one I ate, way back. It was good. But he also gave me the biggest one and that one was really red.

I will keep another small one next year, but if its the same, I will only be targeting whities for sport......

I'm really picky with my whities. I make sure they get bled out, and go right on ice, and cleaned asap. A lot of times, I'll clean them right on the lake. I find they don't keep as well as most fish. The sooner you can get them cleaned and put away, the better.

I always trim off as much of the red as possible too.......nasty stuff that is.

Sinker

I was fishing a very popular fishing town a few years back and i started a nice conversation with a state local. He seemed very knowledgable about the best ways to get the fish if you're on a meat run. Then he showed me how quickly he can clean a fish...very good job too. And then he told me that dark meat under the skin is all piss and poop because thats where it gets filtered in fish the same way sharks go through the skin. Hahaha. It was hard to believe anything he said after that.