Balsam Lake Musky report.

BillM

Well, if this sounds extremely similar to my French River musky report, it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol Perhaps I am not destined to catch these fish, who knows.. A board member was nice enough to give me some spots to try out.. I found a nice weedline that dropped from 5ft into about 14-18ft of water. I worked this with TopRaiders, Suicks(weighted and unweighted) and some 8" jointed Believers. We worked a good 2km stretch without even a follow. Casting up onto the flat then back down the drop, from the flat casting out to the dropoff then back up to the flat. Parallel to the drop off, etc etc etc. We also found a nice midlake hump thanks to the chartplotter that went from about 20ft to 6ft with all kinds of nice scattered weedbeds.. Worked this from about 6am till 11am or so then the sun came out and the jetski's and pleasure boaters showed up. We abandoned the ski fishing and start hitting the shade and docks.. My dad missed a big largie when he fluked a cast right under neath a dock... One big slurp, 15seconds or so of a fight and it was gone... Hit a couple of smallmouths on Zara Spooks, but the weather wasn't very nice for fishing (no wind, blue skies, sunny as hell).

We are going to hit Gloucester next weekend to give the mighty esox another go. I do have one spot where we had a follow from a big fish, going to hit that first thing in the morning with some Suicks and some Bulldawgs bouncing down the point into deep water.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like you were fishing some good structure. The fish were just not active.....Balsam is a great Musky lake. Your better off giving Balsam another shot than Gloucester. There are some real biguns in Gloucester but from what I understand, they are not a lot of them. I fished it 3 times and only seen one Musky follow. I almost always catch Muskies on Balsam.

Weather was a huge factor today, if I knew it was going to be like this, I wouldn't have gone. The oldman really like his smallmouth bass fishing, so we compromise a bit :)

Balsam has a lot of structure, we'll definitely be back.

Bill if all your looking to do is get the musky monkey off your back go to Head Lake in the town of Haliburton. It is the surest thing to sure fire for musky that I know. Ive taken many people there to get their first fish. You wont be going wrong. This lake was recommended to me 17yrs ago by Rocky C and it has never failed to produce for anyone including my 8 yr old son who caught this one all by himself his first ten minutes on the lake. He caught three more that in the next 5 hours before calling it a day.

FISH ON!!!!

Griffin6.jpg

Easier to release from shore

Griffin1.jpg

If an 8yr old can do it so can you Bill

Griffin2.jpg

Keep at er Bill. You'll get one in the boat soon. Did you try burning any spinnerbaits or bucktails? Good luck on your next adventure. Any time spent with your dad fishing is priceless. My father lives so far away from me. I miss fishing with him so much. Enjoy the time you have with him. Thats worth more than any fish.

Keep going at'em and you'll get one soon time ... I went to Balsam on Sunday for Bass and I hooked into 2 of them with chartuese spinnerbaits, didn't land them though, one snapped my line somehow (not sure if it bite through my line or not, was using 40lb braid but no leader, i was going for bass) and the other one just spit the lure on a jump. My girlfriend also hooked into one and fought it for about a minute ... that one went for the tiny piece of worm she had on her bait holder hook, she said it nailed her hook when she was bringing her rig back to the boat lol.

You gotta burn some spinners Bill!

I swear, I catch 99% of my musky on spinnerbaits. I'll throw one all day, and if they don't want it, they usually don't want anything else either. Maybe its just a confidence thing, but I have a real hard time NOT using a spinner bait.

Sinker

Just plain ole 1oz spinner baits work fine for me. I catch all species of fish on them too.

I have a rod with a spinner on it ALWAYS, and its ALWAYS the first one I go for!!

Just keep atter, you'll get one sooner or later!!

Sinker