Long Point Bay Bass Opener Report

Rich

My bass opener tradition for the last decade has been to fish the big opening day derby on Long Point Bay. I really wanted Sugarpacket to experience this, but we were having babysitter troubles for Splenda so things looked bleak for her coming out. She ended up sitting on the phone literally all night and never got a wink of sleep - but she ended up finding a sitter and was able to get out for opener as well. Sleded and I packed up the Filth Hound and Sugarpacket took her "Bubble Up Hound" on it's maiden voyage. I'll let her tell her opener report.

So Sleded and I get on the water to just awesome bass weather, little bits of rain (post-storms) and cloudy weather with a real good chop. I love fishing largemouth on days like that. We headed to the flats and began to toss spinnerbaits. Sleded connected first with a hammer handle pike that tossed the hook. I had a small MUSKY strike my spinnerbait and head to the depths, no doubt in my mind it was a musky. This is our first encounter on LPB this year with a musky. It was only small, less than 40 inches.

Anywho I was next to connect with a nice pike. Not sure on the weight or length just wanted to get it back in quick but safely and hunt for a big bass.

DSC01727.jpg

DSC01729.jpg

Was a nice surprise but not what I was looking for.

After connecting with several more pike and only one small largemouth we decided we must be fishing too deep and headed closer to shore where the weed tops just barely go under the surface. Things were just amazing here. Bass after bass after bass, we stopped counting after 30. All 1 - 2 pounds though unfortunately. A couple double headers thrown in the mix too.

DSC01731.jpg

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01733.jpg

DSC01734.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

I ended up putting one a tad over 2 lbs in the livewell just so I had an entry for the derby. When I brought it in at noon I was in 7th place - but I knew that wouldn't last. We kept trying but as the sun came out and the wind got brutal we lost fishing spots and bites slowed down. WGSF did once again make an appearance though!

DSC01736.jpg

The wind was so bad at one point it picked up our precious Country Coffee blueberry fritters and tossed them overboard. We cried over the loss.

DSC01738.jpg

After the derby was over with at 4pm we spent an hour around the docks at a marina catching some nice bluegills to take home. There were some real beauts in there but I only took home a half dozen.

DSC01739.jpg

All in all, a great bass opener. Lots of action - even though they weren't big fish it was just fun to get out and do some bass fishing. I think with all those pike we were nailing my next trip out may be for something toothier. ;)

Hope everyone else had a good opener!

Great report Rich, I was out there today also. Only I mainly concentrated on the smallmouth my biggest weighed in at 3.37 pounds just out of the top 10 by about a 1/2 pound. You are right about the wind comming up man was that tough to fish in.