Go Ahead - Drink and Drive - It's OK!

Clampet

yep....unbelievable and upsetting!

There had to be another reason for the not guilty verdict. Like bribery or some other sort of shady deal. The crown did not seem happy.

in court, Justice Harpur found that five beers did not match the toxicology test and that he would have had to drink several more than five beers to have a reading of 180 -- which, he said, casts doubt on the reliability of the equipment.

So 5 beers is not enough to be certain the person was over the limit? Rob Ramage was convicted on far less evidence!

Doing 80K over the limit is ok if you think someone is charging up behind you?: I will keep this article in my car incase I get pulled over for speeding.

Whats the first lie any drunk driver or his buddies would tell? Answer: " he only had a few"

it goes on...read the article.

That judge (and cop) need to go!

forrest

It's called the "Carter defence" and you'd be angry if you knew how effective it's been over the years.

Buddy blows over the limit, but buddy and his friends swear he has only had a couple of drinks . An expert comes in to court and tells the judge that given his weight, a couple drinks would only make buddies BAC a number well under the limit, the judge buys it, and buddy walks.

The good news is that there is new legislation is in the works to weaken this defence, so hopefully there will be fewer of these people getting away with it. Andy

Edited by Andy

It's called the "Carter defence" and you'd be angry if you knew how effective it's been over the years.

Buddy blows over the limit, but buddy and his friends swear he has only had a couple of drinks . An expert comes in to court and tells the judge that given his weight, a couple drinks would only make buddies BAC a number well under the limit, the judge buys it, and buddy walks.

The good news is that there is new legislation is in the works to weaken this defence, so hopefully there will be fewer of these people getting away with it. Andy

He got away with because of cronyism.

Shame on the other police officers to lie for their friend. There comes a point where you need to draw the line when it comes to honesty and integrity. These guys as just as guilty as the man that was charged.

There use to be an officer in Bradford who would not hesitate to charge other police with any infraction from speeding to impaired driving. All of the police hated this guy and he as considered a lone wolf. Too bad there aren't more lone wolves on our police forces.

..There use to be an officer in Bradford who would not hesitate to charge other police with any infraction from speeding to impaired driving. All of the police hated this guy and he as considered a lone wolf. Too bad there aren't more lone wolves on our police forces.

Justice in today's world is practically non-existent.

Heres a link:http://www.lawyers.ca/international/students/discussiondetail.asp?ID=253&Law=DUI&T1=Carter+defence

So the judge chose to believe him......that was his choice....since there was an empty been bottle on the floor of the car maybe there were others he chucked out hte window. Maybe he is an alcoholic and was sipping other booze in the car.....the judge did not want to think of this possibility....justice is screwed up.

Hopefully the offending cops career is now dead dead dead and miserable.

forrest

Does this news article mean that the carter defense is dead?: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor..._twobeer_080417

How many people here can honestly say they havent drove while having one to many?

I cant.

Growing up as a kid my parents did it alot.............but was alot different then.

Now a days we are skinned alive for it.........

I dont agree at all with drinking and driving as it is dangerous........... but drinking and driving and making it home without getting caught isnt any better than getting caught and getting off IMO.

The fact he was a police officer IMO is what got him off.

How many people here can honestly say they havent drove while having one to many?

I cant.

Growing up as a kid my parents did it alot.............but was alot different then.

Now a days we are skinned alive for it.........

I dont agree at all with drinking and driving as it is dangerous........... but drinking and driving and making it home without getting caught isnt any better than getting caught and getting off IMO.

The fact he was a police officer IMO is what got him off.

Off course getting caught and then getting away with it the way he did is worse!

Not one conviction mentioned.

1) he drove drunk...real drunk

2) sounds like his co-worker cops perjured themselves (they are cops!)

3) he attempted to evade police and got away with that with some Bull argument

Guest lundboy

I'm sure a lot of us here can honestly say that we have never driven a vehicle after having "one too many". Not in a boat and not on the road either.

Some things just make you go hmmm....

hate to rain on anyone's parade...not going to support him or say anything about it..... but i would like to make a few comments, hopefully no one will pile on me.....

1) I would like to let the members on the board here know that the conviction rate for impaired drivers in Ontario is about 15-20%. Impaired trials are more technical now than most murder trials....because for lawyers there is more money to be made doing that. It's tough to do and in all honesty more officers that I know, hate doing impaireds because you put 6-10 hours of hard, meticulous work in and you'll lose the charge. So, regardless if he was a police officer or not, there was a good chance of him getting off anyway. Our court system needs help.

2) The Carter defence is used ALL the time and unfortunately it works alot of the time too.

3) Unfortunately, like life, there are bad eggs everywhere and in every job.....and bad eggs usually associate with those like them.....

4) The media no longer just talks about facts, it has become "creative writing". If I could tell you half of the info i know, all the Martyrs that have been shot in T.O would be looked upon differently

5) "Justice in today's world is practically non-existent. " Yup.......we bring'em to court, they get a kiss, a pat on the bum and off they go

6) "you'll get the full extent of the law if ya make any infraction of the HTA..." SINCE WHEN lol...... i wrote 200+ tickets last year and plan to lose 75%.....not because of anything i did...but because the court system doesn't like to work, they'll give people breaks instead of coming down on them. Ask any of the "stunt drivers" what their conviction was.... I haven't heard of anyone getting convicted of it since it came into affect.

Like I said, i'm not going to say anything about what the officer did, but it is completely unfortunate that because of what he did, ALL of us are painted with the same brush. Ask any of the other police officers on this board how that makes them feel when they put an honest days work in and every media outlet brainwashes the public that the police are bad and quite frankly every newspaper in the province other than the Ottawa Citizen, National Post and Kitchener Record are anti-police...............................ask Lew (sorry buddy, needed an example) how many firefighters he has worked with have done something criminal, been arrested, charged and convicted, yet the paper doesn't hear about it and he goes on with his life. The same with teachers, lawyers, doctors, labourers etc. but because a police officer does something wrong it gets in the news asap and is everywhere.

that's my 2 cents....i'll make sure i read everyone's replies and bashing when I wake up. I'm tired, it's been a long night and like I have said before, the job of a police officer is the most difficult to do and to understand, why do you think both the divorce rate, suicide rate and substance abuse rate is in the top 3 of all professions...most guys hold in what they see and it comes out in many forms. I personally have had a rough week and have seen things that I wish I hadn't and i'm sure it'll stay with me for a long time and I can understand how 30 years on the job can lead to a lot of negative consequences. New statistics show that about 80% police officers WILL die within the first 2 years of their retirement....we buried 4 this year.....

Saddly, you are right, do ten good things, no one remembers, do one bad thing, no one forgets kind of attitude.

Only a fool would judge all police officers (or any other group) by the actions of a few so if being judged by fools means something to you then I guess it matters. Apart from that if you can hold your head up high knowing that you are honorable then that is all that should matter. A poem that I learned way back in school and never forgot sums it up quite nicely for me.

'if' by rudyard kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master,

If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;

If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster

And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken

Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,

Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,

And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breath a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)