White twister tail(grub) jigging at Pigeon.

ehg

Hi folks,

Inspired by a post last week i'd thought i would try white grub jigging for walleye at Pigeon this weekend.

My buddy Dave swears by these things and they do work. We found a nice pile of weed covered humps and jigged around them in 10 - 20 ft. of water.

I hooked a huge musky that eventually snapped my 6lb mono, and Dave caught a huge OOS bass that jumped and shook the hook.

Had pretty consistent action in the area for little walleyes, nothing big.

IMG_0003-17.jpg

All these litle dudes were released. Looks good for future judging by small size and good numbers.

IMG_0001-11.jpg

The Worlds Greatest Sportfish

IMG_0005-16.jpg

Some rockbass and bluegills loooked anemic like this.

IMG_0009-7.jpg

At least this pumpkinseed still looked colourful.

IMG_0006-14.jpg

It was nice to be out fishing despite the lack of spectacular fish.

Cheers,

ehg

Guest Johnny Bass

Jigging can be very fun and productive. Too bad the big ones weren't around, but its always better than getting skunked! Thanks for sharing.

nice, white jigs are always a go too bait of mine...I like to use the 6 inch twisters, have caught everything from rock bass to muskies on them as well as big trout. I noticed ya have a green or chartruesse colour jig head..I find if I use plain jig heads I catch more fish..dunno why, I think it may be partly due to if the painted ones get dinged up and chip, I think the fish shy away from them. I also find that if I am fishing waters with a "greenish" tint to them like the Niagara River for example, white is a hot colour of choice, but fishing more northern type lakes that tend to be more "blackish" like at my trailer for example..yellow seems to be the hot ticket.

thanks for sharing the pics,looks like a great time, twisters are a great fishfinder :Gonefishing:

It seemed like there are more smaller walleye being caught than large ones lately. Hopefully, the larger ones are not being depleted.

The weeds are not out yet therefore many larger fish are hiding on the deep waters. I believe the larger fish needs the weeds to hide and then they can ambush their prey. Once the weeds grow to its proper height, the larger fish will be staging close to waters under 15 feet.

Surprise that you guys did not get other larger fish. Base on my experience, when the small fish such as sunfish or rockbass or perch are agreesively hitting your jig and grubs, it is just a matter of time other larger fish would also take your lures. We just have to keep at it! I believe the small fish will catch the attention of larger fish.

Try casting and retreiving close to weedbed and place the boat 10-15 feet away from the area, sometime the larger fish will be spooked right underneath our boat unless there are tons of weeds around.

Edited by bassfighter

Hi folks,

We found a nice pile of weed covered humps and jigged around them in 10 - 20 ft. of water.

I hooked a huge musky that eventually snapped my 6lb mono, and Dave caught a huge OOS bass that jumped and shook the hook.

Had pretty consistent action in the area for little walleyes, nothing big.

Surprise that you guys did not get other larger fish. Base on my experience, when the small fish such as sunfish or rockbass or perch are agreesively hitting your jig and grubs, it is just a matter of time other larger fish would also take your lures. We just have to keep at it! I believe the small fish will catch the attention of larger fish.

Try casting and retreiving close to weedbed and place the boat 10-15 feet away from the area, sometime the larger fish will be spooked right underneath our boat unless there are tons of weeds around.

Bassfighter, as i stated initially we did hit some big musky and big OOS bass but didn't land them.

It was quite windy so we worked a series of humps by positioning the boat so we drifted by the humps at the productive depths.

Those white grubs caught a bunch of different species and different sizes yesterday.

Find that the minnow imitating Fin-S fish or Sassy shad work better in fall.

Thanks for replies,

ehg

There was an article in the last couple of months in either Ontario Out of Doors or Outdoor Canada. The author challenged himself to fish for a whole year with only a white grub, including icefishing.

Sounds like the one lure to have if trapped on a northern deserted island with fishing rod. :canadian:

This white grub thing works pretty good, but i did put a stinger hook and half worm on to help things along.

You could see on depthfinder as depth rose and weeds became more dense we got more bites.

The musky and bass bit it as well.

Thanks for replies,

ehg